1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Re: Running NFL Offseason Thread

Gambling on notorious bad actors, on the cheap. Typical flash-and-trash Bungles.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Benson would have been a star in Chicago if he hadn't held out so long his rookie season. That was just idiotic.

The Bengals have made a few smart moves like bringing in Kitna to help mentor Palmer. They've had some really bad luck in the draft, that isn't their fault. They also had Palmer get hurt the same week he signed his big contract.

They are the Clippers of the NFL. The only difference is, in the NFL there's enough parity that even historically bad teams make the playoffs every once in awhile.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Could-NFL-labor-issue-prompt-Locker-to-play-baseball.html

4. Mizzougrad96

Maybe Locker has seen how far his draft stock has dropped.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Or they can spend like the Redskins and still suck ass.

6. Mizzougrad96

I understand why Jerry Jones thinks he can be a NFL GM. He thinks he's the genius behind the Cowboys' turnaround right after he bought the team. Without question, he deserves some of the credit for that. In fact when he didn't think he was getting enough credit, he got rid of the coach who he thought was taking it from him.

Snyder, on the other hand, has not even come remotely close to doing anything to indicate he know jack shit about running a franchise. The danger isn't the owners who don't know shit, but the danger is the owners who don't know shit but think they do.

I think the NFL is better when the two most powerful franchises are competitive, but I'm sure enjoying it when they're not.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I had him on my fantasy team (RIP spnited) every year until two years ago. Never kept him, just always drafted him. Impeccable timing, Ced.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's a good comparison. They have done some smart things along the way, though I'm not sure how much impact Kitna had, if any. Palmer is damn talented and that offense in 2005 was loaded. Give Palmer some credit for making the throws, but he had a great offensive line, a quality running back and three playmakers at receiver for a while there.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Kitna was a crisis option for uber bust Akili Smith.

This is Starman's tin drum, but I'm not sure how much mentoring Kitna has ever done.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Broncos re-sign Champ Baily to a four-year deal.

11. Mizzougrad96

I was always under the impression that he worked with Palmer a lot. I did a story on Palmer a few years ago and he said Kitna was key to his transition to the NFL and that he was disappointed when he left, but understood because he wanted another chance to start.

12. mb

mb Active Member

Pleasantly surprised. Reeeeeallllllllly didn't see that coming.

Draft saved Draft deleted