1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Feb 17, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: Running NFL Offseason Thread

Understandable, but it also makes sense for them to want to get out of there.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Those are not injustices, Evil, they are tells as to how the Bengals run their whole operation. There's a payroll MINIUM in the NFL, too, so the salaries the franchise pays are largely out of their control. But when they can save a nickel, they do it no matter how petty a matter it involves.
    This is an absolute indicator of how the Bengals handle all their other truly discretionary spending in matters such as scouting, hiring non-playing personnel, etc.
    Remember, the players aren't just the hired help, they're the product, too. The Bengals skimp on their product whenever possible. Consequently, the product sucks more years than not.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Unless my ability to read is suddenly broken, Carson Palmer isn't angry about having to shell out from his pocket for many, if not all, of these things.

I suspect Palmer knows his good fortune, and doesn't mind paying for things. But not only do some of these things show us how cheap the Brown family is, but also doesn't help some of the other players who aren't making millions and millions over years and years. Granted, the NFL's idea of slave wages is enough to make most of us salivate, but they're simple gestures of appreciation and class.

Most owners understand this. The Browns do not. Your SE/editor/whoeveryourbossis doesn't have to throw a party or do other various things. You're likely to be able to afford such luxuries. But don't those kind of gestures say something about those folks?

4. Re: Running NFL Offseason Thread

I agree with everything you guys have written about the Bengals. I don't think it is a reflection on NFL ownership or the state of the NFL and its player payscale.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Name the last bigtime free agent the Bengals have signed. Virtually unwanted 36-year-old Owens doesn't count.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No healthy free agent in his right mind would go anywhere near Cincy. That's why Owens wound up there. :D

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That is not even remotely the point. THese are tired arguments people use.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I went and checked and the closest thing I can find -- which is still quite distant -- is Roy Williams or Lorenzo Neal. That's pretty sad.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Given they won two division titles in a span of six seasons, that approach to scouting works pretty well, huh?

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I think Palmer can be effective if you have a very, very good running game. If safeties have to worry about the run, so corners can't jump the out-routes that Palmer loves, then Palmer is very effective. Otherwise, not so much anymore.

11. Re: Running NFL Offseason Thread

How 'about Cedric Benson?

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Like Owens, there wasn't much competition for Ced's services. He turned out to be better than anyone expected (very low bar to begin with), but, at the time, he had been cut and was dealing with a couple off-the-field issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted