1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Running NFL Offseason Thread

I don't even see the Niners giving up the No. 7 pick for Kolb. Maybe a Hasselbeck type deal where they swap first-rounders and then throw in a mid-round pick would be a little more even.

No. 7 pick for Palmer? Never in a million years.

Then again, I didn't think the Broncos could get a first-rounder for Cutler so what the fuck do I know? :D

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/2/7/1980631/new-carson-palmer-rumors

3. Mizzougrad96

All anyone needs to know about the Bengals is that they have a clause in every contract that prohibits players from every saying anything bad about the team.

This was several years ago, but I remember someone telling me that the Bengals had far fewer scouts than any other team in the NFL. I don't remember the exact number but it was pretty absurd. When they hired Lewis they were supposed to start changing that.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

that has been true for as long as i can remember; they've had the fewest college scout in the league, always using their assistant coaches to do most of the off-season work scouts usually do. most teams give their coaching staff a voice in scouting/rating/drafting but have scouts for a reason -- a balance of power between the personnel dept. and coaching staff.

these aren't called 'the bungles' for nothing...

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

So they don't have any.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/20/mallett-will-be-asked-about-drug-use-at-combine/

Nice shot at our fine friends in Cincy at the end of this report.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

When T.J. Houshmandzadeh visited Seattle a few years ago during free agency, there was a story that he tried to buy a soda at team headquarters and started to put his money into the machine, and somebody asked him what the hell he was doing -- that nobody has to pay for that kind of stuff around there.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

A.K.A. the Carl Pickens Rule. As many people as crashed on Pickens for it, I didn't blame him at all.

Word I got was that things like gloves, hand towels attached to pants, undershirts, etc., are usually paid for by the franchises. Except in Cincinnati. Houshmanzadeh's behavior in Seattle shows that little, if anything, has changed.

9. Mizzougrad96

I remember one guy the Bengals had cut loose came to the team I used to cover and he would go on and on about how cheap the Bengals were. At the time, I assumed it was exagerrated.

I know I've told this story before, but I flew back from the owner's meetings a several years ago and Marvin Lewis was sitting next to me in coach. I said "Bengals wouldn't spring for first class?" and he just kind of laughed.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I root for the evicting landlord if he is not receiving his rent payments or if the renters are doing something to jeopardize the value of his property.

The "little guy" isn't always in the right or deserving of compassion. Sometimes he's shiftless, lazy and always trying to take advantage of people and situations.

11. Mizzougrad96

Sanders is visiting the Jaguars today. I'm guessing he's scrambling to get a deal before he gets injured again or when the lockout begins in a couple weeks, whatever happens sooner.

12. Re: Running NFL Offseason Thread

Not mention rich "renters."
    All these stories about the Bengals and their cheapness ... Any idea how much money Carson Palmer made? How about Houshmandzadeh?
    I don't have a whole lot of sympathy over a millionare have to shell out a buck for a fucking Coke rather than getting it for free.
    Or not having a Christmas party.

Draft saved Draft deleted