1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Feb 17, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: Running NFL Offseason Thread

Um, one system rewards people with big money. The other separates people from their jobs. Where one stands on the issue doesn't matter; but it is clear which one sounds less draconian. It's strange as my life has gone on to observe how many people seem to root for the Snidely Whiplash character or the evicting landlord.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

People lose their jobs in sports all the time once it benefits the team to cut them loose. You and spnited act like that is something that only happens in the NFL.

I root for competitive fairness first. One system allows owners to buy championships, or at least a better shot at one. The other does not.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Bills will have new uniforms in 2011. Or they'll be neatly folded somewhere if there's no season.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/2/9/1984654/buffalo-bills-new-uniforms-not-influenced-by-nike

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Please ... not the MLB vs. NFL revenue/cap issue again. Please.

As for CP, agree with B_H (as usual). Thing is, everyone knows the Browns have been milking the Bengals franchise for years and years. Palmer is tired of it, and it's difficult to blame him. Still, if he has the money - and he swears he does - just retire and end the melodrama.

More food for thought: Wonder how hard Jerry Richardson will push for a rookie cap in the midst of the CBA discussions. Since his franchise has the No. 1 pick and all ...

5. outofplace

Sorry, Sam, but it is relevant to a discussion of Palmer and the Bengals.

The Bengals' ownership is as bad as any team you want to bring up in MLB or any other major professional sport you want to bring up. They do win on occasion, but a lot of that is the NFL system, which evens out the revenues among all of the teams and has a salary floor so the Brown family can't do what the Nuttings do in Pittsburgh.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

On that we agree, OOP. The Brown family does as little as possible to maximize its profits - plain and simple. Sure, the owners aren't in it for purely altruistic reasons, but the Browns and "cheap" are quite synonymous.

But, IMO, I thought we already knew that.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

A system that rewards mediocrity or worse.
    I rest my case.

BitterYoungMatador2 and old_tony like this.
  8. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

As a 49er fan I have no interest in giving up the 7th pick for Kolb or Palmer. Neither are worth it. Kolb is vastly overrated. I'm not saying he won't be good. All I'm saying is he is being treated as a near lock to be very good. What exactly has he done to prove this? He has put up mediocre stats on a very good team. He also had a losing record in his starts last season when Vick I believe was 8-2.

As for Palmer, he just isn't a great QB. Maybe he is worn down by the crap in Cincinnati or maybe he just needs a fresh start but I doubt it. I just don't think he has it anymore. Decent QB but hardly great.

Stats are far from the end all be all in football but it is worth mentioning Alex Smith has comparable stats the last two years to Palmer (and better than Kolb). I'm not opposed to bringing back Smith but I don't really want it to happen either. I think, given good coaches, Smith will be a pretty good QB. Nolan and especially Singletary made it impossible for him to succeed.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No shock that Bengals fans would be in favor of that one.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I can't imagine SF doing that. Palmer is done, has been apparent since the 2 games against the Jets at the end of last season where he single handedly assured that the team had no shot. Couldn't make any throws. Why not just trade for Kolb & hope that he's Schaub in waiting?

11. outofplace

Edit...well...y'all should know why.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Buffalo traded a first-round pick for Rob Johnson, who had thrown 35 passes and started one game in three years.

Draft saved Draft deleted