1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Jan 6, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Re: Running NFL Draft thread -- why wait?

Smith, Colon, Faneca, Simmons, Starks
    Ben

Just a possibilty.

2. FightScribe

FightScribe Member

As a Rams fan, I'm hoping like hell that Dorsey is there at No. 2 because he's the type of player that could help that defense, which has a lot of young talent, turn the corner.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Rams' defense has talent? Where were they all hiding that Thursday night game against the Steelers?

That is the only time I watched the Rams this year. That group looked horrible.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Fixed.

5. outofplace

Good point. I was just sticking with what I saw, which was pretty damn ugly.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought Faneca has said there's no way in hell he's coming back to Pittsburgh? Has he softened his stance?

7. outofplace

He did say he expected his agent to be talking with the Steelers, so that leaves the door at least a little bit open. But they are looking to lock up Roethlisberger long term and already wasted too much money locking up the big pile of mediocrity that is Kendall Simmons, so I don't see how they keep him.

8. Re: Running NFL Draft thread -- why wait?

If the Steelers signed Faneca to a $7 million per season average, it would be for prior performance and not future production. There wasn't one single player on that entire offensive line that had a good season. I've never seen Faneca get easily knocked back into the pocket like he had this season. I don't know if he was trying to be careful in protecting his 2008 payday or losing a step but it was obvious.

Marvell Smith should probably retire with his back problems leaving Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin to decide if Max Starks can truly be trusted as a left tackle protecting the blindside of Ben Roethlisberger. It would probably help the team by moving Kendall Simmons to center, resign Chris Kemoteau to play right guard, and draft a big strong left guard to repalce Faneca. Willie Colon did a good enough job at right tackle to get another season to prove himself.

It would be wise to draft a guard in the second or third round than spend big money for a first round pick suited for a position like defensive end, wide receiver, or cornerback/safety.

9. 93Devil

A replacement for Hines Ward should be considered. Hines still has gas in the tank, but most receivers do not hit their stride until their third year which is when Hines will probably step down.

The Oline is a must. It's always been Pittsburgh's backbone, but you can get a solid lineman in the second round.

There just seems to be more holes to plug this off season than most.

10. outofplace

Oh, there are. That team has a lot of problems. I just don't see wide receiver as the highest priority just yet. Not when both lines need so much work.

11. 93Devil

True. Plus you swing a miss a lot more often on wide receivers than linemen .

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dallas has two first-round picks, their own and Cleveland's. Dallas owner is an Arkansas alum, which is leading a lot of people in the Metroplex to think he'll offer those two picks to Miami for a shot at McFadden.

Draft saved Draft deleted