1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Divisional Weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Jan 4, 2009.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

You can't swing a dead cat in any sports bar in America without hitting some Yayhoo in a Kevin Greene jersey.

Recently, I was in a sports bar in a state in which another professional team resides and the main game with the volume on was Pittsburgh's.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Hell, there's probably a Steelers bar in most U.S. cities.

I know for a fact my friend in Indianapolis frequents such a place whenever the team is playing.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, they've infested every corner of society. :D

4. Trey Beamon

What's wrong with an S-TEEL-D? :D

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't think I've ever seen a Steelers fan cause any trouble, and where I used to live it's probably because most of them remember when Bobby Layne was the Steelers' QB. The only annoying thing I've noticed is that when they get in a group of four or more, they react to a 4-yard screen pass the same as a game-winning TD in overtime. Of course, the gaggle of Bills fans at my old stomping grounds did the same thing.

6. Trey Beamon

We're also among the most reactionary fans in the NFL.

Big Ben throws three picks and the Steelers lose? The "put in Leftwich" cries come flooding into the postgame call-in shows like a fucking tsunami.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I think all fans are reactionary, at the least the ones who call their brother near the end of a victory and yell, "I don't care if they win this damn game, that defensive coordinator needs to be fired before he walks off the field!" (I edited out the the 4-5 expletives originally contained in that sentence).

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's you following most Bears games, right?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jan/08/chargers-notes-rivers/?chargers

Check out the second note, though I can't imagine why they didn't lead with it. Chargers GM A.J. Smith is ticked off at LaDainian Tomlinson's willingness to speak publicly on the details of his injury.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Tomlinson's in a tough spot.

Without explaining, he looks really bad missing last year's conference final then this year's conference semi.

11. outofplace

Understood, but by speaking up, he is putting the protection of his own image above the interests of the team. I know coaches and ftont-office types go overboard on the cloak and dagger stuff sometimes, but there is probably some advantage in at least trying to get the Steelers to believe he is going to play.

12. outofplace

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/09/ravens-titans-injury-report/

Titans' center Kevin Mawae ruled out for Saturday's game against the Ravens. I mentioned earlier on this thread that losing Mawae could be a killer for Tennessee. Mawae is one of the best in the game, and I assume he handles many of the pre-snap adjustments for the Titans' offensive line. The Ravens' front seven is tough enough to deal with, much moreso when you are dealing with that kind of disruption to your offensive line.

Draft saved Draft deleted