1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Divisional Weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What he said. Saturday prime time, I think, is the lowest rated slot of the entire week.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fair point. That might actually be a better reason to put the Giants on Saturday night, to draw a prime-time audience that the league might not normally get, but I guess the network would prefer to maximize the Sunday slot.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Interestingly, the Giants have already played the Eagles(twice), Cardinals, Panthers, Steelers and Ravens, going 5-1.
    They haven't palyed a team with a losing record since San Fran in mid October

4. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

I was surprised to see that the Ravens had 22 first downs, converted on 7/14 third downs, and had the ball for 34:28 in the first meeting between the two teams, yet only scored 10 points.

Flacco did throw two picks in that game, but he has played much better during the second half of the season.

It should be a fun matchup.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Sunday night/Monday morning from about 2 a.m. to 5:30 a.m. disagreess with you. Otherwise, I would have been able to find something other to watch last night than Peter Jackson's King Kong.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

James Harrison goes from undrafted rookie to NFL Defensive Player of the Year ... wow.

Regardless of how much folks in SJ Steeler Nation liked the guy, no one could've predicted this.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09005/939707-66.stm

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

At what point couldn't they have predicted this?

Four years ago? OK. Maybe then.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yeah.

The guy has obviously made himself into one heck of a player.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Let's hope the postseason curse that followed the MVP, Coach of the Year, Rookie of the Year and Comeback POY doesn't hit the Steelers next.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree with your overall point, but even two years ago, he was backing up Joey Porter. He showed signs of being a very good player then, which was a big reason that they let Porter go, but nobody was sure. The Steelers liked him enough to hand Porter's old job to Harrison, but they also drafted outside linebackers with their first two selections that offseason, so they were hedging their bets.

But given what he did in '07 and the way he has stepped up his play this season, this should not be a shock. I thought Ware might get it because he had 20 sacks, but Harrison is the better overall player. He isn't just a pass rusher. He is a beast against the run. I have been saying he is clearly among the top five defenders in the league most of this season.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

After that Monday Night game, everyone was sure.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

People I know are more likely to watch Saturday night's game at the pub than the Sunday afternoon games.

If that ratings thing really held water, New England would not have been tabbed for a primetime playoff game last year. Or when they had it in Jan. 2004. Or when they had two in Jan. 2006. Vick played in three of those night playoffs. So on, so forth.

These are intended to be the sexy games.

Draft saved Draft deleted