1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Divisional Weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Jan 4, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've been wondering that, too. Even not knowing who the opponent would be, why not put the New York team on in prime time?

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Both the AFC games will be defensive battles. I could see the road teams winning both games.

Difference in the Titans-Ravens game is that Harbaugh won't be able to hide Flocco. This will be a much closer game and he'll have to make plays. He certainly won't be able to get away with anything close to today's 9-of-23 performance. Titans 16, Ravens 10.

Chargers will have a chance in Pittsburgh because the Steelers' O-line sucks and who knows how Roethlisberger will be after that concussion. He certainly won't be helped if he's getting knocked on his ass by the Chargers' pass rush. My upset special - Chargers 17, Steelers 13.

Carolina should clobber Arizona. The Cards' won their Super Bowl on Saturday and have been terrible on the East Coast this year. Panthers 34, Cardinals 14.

Giants defense showed some cracks the last few weeks. Question will be whether or not the Eagles can get Westbrook going. Giants' pass defense is better than Minnesota's, and they have a much better quarterback. So the Eagles will have to play more consistently on offense to have a shot. I think the Giants pull it out by a touchdown, say, 24-17.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It rotates by conference each year. It's Fox's year to have the Saturday night divisional game (with CBS getting the late slot for conference championships).

Fox/NFL might have been anticipating an Atlanta win at Arizona. Oops.

4. outofplace

I know why Fox's prime-time game is Saturday. I just wondered why they didn't put the Giants in that game.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Weather in Pittsburgh this weekend is supposed to be in the 20's....perfect for Steeler football, but wonder how much that will affect the Chargers?

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I agree.

If you like SD, you've got to fancy its chance, if for no other reason than the team has already gone to Pittsburgh and basically played the Steelers to a draw a month and a half ago in crappy weather. I think this game turns on Roethlisberger. He's going to have to find a way to get his team to the end zone, which he couldn't do the first time around.

I really look forward to Baltimore-Tennessee. Two great defensive units ought to keep their teams in it throughout.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Sunday ... anytime... gets better ratings than a Saturday night.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Eagles will pound them.

9. Ron Cook of the P-G has already written off the Chargers and is writing about a Ravens-Steelers championship game.

I'm glad the Steelers are playing San Diego, but I ain't ready to write them off. Nor the Titans.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

What's his reasoning?

11. In a nutshell: Because the Steelers won a strange and crappy 11-10 game over them during the regular season.

To me, I always felt better meeting a team, like the Colts, in the playoffs after having lost to them during the regular season...
    Which is why I dread, dread the prospect of facing the Ravens again.

12. outofplace

I don't know how you look at that game and write off the Chargers, who are playing much better than they were the first time they played the Steelers. I don't know how you write off any opponent against the Steelers given how bad Pittsburgh's offense is.

I do like the Ravens' chances against the Titans as long as they can find a way to keep the burden off Joe Flacco. The Titans might be without their Kevin Mawae in that game due to an elbow injury he sustained late in the game against the Steelers. He is one of the best centers in the game, not the guy you want to be without against the Ravens' defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted