1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Dec 28, 2008.

1. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I think it's a good move. Niners haven't had the kind of focus they've shown this last month in years.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If Singletary wasn't coaching the 49ers next year, he'd be a head coach somewhere. He actually brought life back to that franchise. That said, I don't know what the direction of the team is, don't have a sense of what type of team they aspire to be. I did see that the team's new president is 27 years old. (It helps that he is able to call the team's co-chairmen Mom and Dad).

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What, Mark, is Singletary not old and white enough for you?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

McCarthy is very safe. The Packers are the oddest 6-10 team of all-time. They actually scored more than they gave up despite their record. The defense had injuries and flatlined until the final two games of the season.

Dungy could retire regardless of what the Colts do in the playoffs. Since Jim Caldwell has already been named the heir apparent, the time might be right.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Since this is the all-purpose "who got whacked" thread I'll copy this from the Mangenius thread:

http://www.freep.com/article/20081229/SPORTS01/81229015

The Free Press has confirmed that the Lions fired coach Rod Marinelli this morning. In addition, Tom Lewand has been named club president and Martin Mayhew the team’s general manager, according to a Lions official.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wade should be getting his walking papers in about two hours.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We've got three confirmed already today: Mangini, Marinelli, Crennel. They are gone.

I think Edwards will be gone for sure before the day is through. Injuries or no, I'm not too sure Del Rio will survive the day either.

Phillips going nowhere. Jones reiterated that as clearly as he could last night, to the point where he'd have to do some embarrassing backtracking were he to turn around.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

NFL network says they are "Closely monitoring four other situations" in addition to the three who have already been axed today.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Rams.... Cowboys.... Chiefs... Seahawks?

Or possibly the Broncos or Bucs?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I hate that vote of confidence quote.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

How about Zorn in Washington? I don't think he's resting comfortably.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Understood. But there's the tepid "vote of confidence," and then there's Jones standing there and saying, "No. A coaching change is not happening here."

Haslett, yes. Edwards, definitely. Holmgren was gone two months ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted