1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Is Mike McCarthy safe? Guy doesn't impress me at all.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Phillips will be fired between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl so Jerry can have some attention that week.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

After today's debacle, it's hard to see Phillips being back, but you never know with Jones.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Maybe if he brings Favre back.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Shanahan has just about used up the considerable goodwill he earned by winning with Elway in the 1990s. In the 10 years since Elway retired, the team has been the playoffs four times and won ONE playoff game. He's been through Bubby Brister, Brian Griese, Jake Plummer and Jay Cutler. So much for the offensive genius tag.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ok, so let's see.... this could really get ugly.

Buffalo: Jauron, likely gone after that 4-0 start turned to another dung heap.

Cleveland: Crennel, good as gone, that contract extension could have been used to bail out som bad mortgages.

Cincinnati: Lewis, should be gone, but ownership are tight-wads. This move will tell a great deal.

Kansas City: Edwards, gone, team had worst record in franchise history.

Oakland: Cable, gone, pressuming Al Davis can find someone else desperate enough to work for him. Most thankless job in the NFL.

Denver: Shanahan, SHOULD BE GONE, but does Pat Bowlen have the balls to pull the trigger?

Jets: Mangini, SHOULD BE GONE, well, should never have been hired in the first place. Herm Edwards was better than he.

Indianapolis: Dungy, retires on his own, maybe after a second Super Bowl win. Just needs a break from the rigors of coaching.

Detroit: Marinelli, GONE, 0-16 is historically bad. In the worst economy in America, how can you even THINK of selling tickets without major changes.

Seattle: Holmgren, retires, but really having second thoughts about Jim Moron Jr.

St. Louis: Haslett, GONE, has head coaching experience, but didn't do much this time around.

Dallas: Phillips, probably STAYS, only because it will mean Jerry Jones saves face after last week's guarantee.

Philadelphia: Reid, DEPENDS, his act has worn thin after 10 years, but if they make a deep playoff run, who knows? Either way, McNabb is likely toast.

Damn, that's 13 strong possibilities. Although I'll put the over/under at, say, 10.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't forget Tampa.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good point.

Not sure about Gruden. He seems to have the owners in his hip pocket, but losing four straight to blow the playoffs is pushing it. I'd say less than 50-50 he gets axed, but stranger things have happened.

Wow, I just heard Cleveland went the last 6 games without scoring an offensive TD. OUCH!!!

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I still love that Jets fans think that team should have won 12 games. lol.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They would need to schedule double round robins with Arizona and St. Louis.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

They also haven't won a playoff game since the 2002 Super Bowl run.

I imagine seven years with Gruden really, Really, REALLY wears on a franchise. Plus, I think he'd kill in college.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh goodness, I just heard the 49ers gave Mike Singletary the permanent coaching job. This from an organization who'se lineage includes Dick Nolan, Bill Walsh, George Seifert and Steve Mariucci.

I haven't felt this nauseous since the University of Washington hired Tyrone Willingham in 2004. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted