1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Dec 28, 2008.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

And anyone who follows high level college or pro sports knows those "promises" aren't worth a damn thing.

If it was written into Jagodzinski's contract that he couldn't pursue another opening for X number of years, then BC has a case for accusing him of breaching his contract and can fire him without paying him a cent. But it would be a case of winning the battle but losing the war - they would look small-time, which would hurt both when looking for their next coach and even with recruiting athletes.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I can answer the first question.

It's not that N.C. State is a sexy football job - far from it. But Boston is a pro market, and all four of those franchises get more coverage and are on the tips of fans' tongues - especially now that the Bruins are getting this season off to a banner start.

On the other hand, the Triangle is a college market, and while some people care about what's going on with the Carolina Hurricanes, the vast majority want to know what's going on with Duke University, the University of North Carolina and North Carolina State University. O'Brien enjoys that challenge and being a little more relevant to his current area than he did in Boston.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks Sam for the explanation. O'Brien felt that regardless on how good BC was under him, the Sawx, Celtics, Pats, and Bruins were going to bury the Eagles and regulated them to page 6 in the sports section. Now, I understand why he went to Raleigh, and took on the challenge of fixing N.C. State after the Amato disaster.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Raiders will keep Cable as head coach:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3867478&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The key phrase (emphasis mine):

"A second source with knowledge of the Raiders' operation also told Smith the Raiders have settled on Cable as their head coach."

That pretty much sums it up. As Sam Farmer wrote, most Raider fans don't want Al davis planning anything other than the holiday party. After he dies, I'll start caring about the Oakland Raiders again.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He made the don happy by embarrassing Shanahan and Gruden.

Schefter broke it hours ago, but the Raiders wouldn't confirm it, true to form.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm pleased that Sylvester Croom is back in the NFL. He's the RB coach for the Rams.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Someone let me know when Haley interviews with the Chiefs, ok?

Draft saved Draft deleted