1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NCAA men's tournament thread 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery Meat II, Mar 13, 2012.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Christian Laettner was a great, great college basketball player. He was an average pro but he collected a paycheck for a lot of years. And again -- as was the case with guys like Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olujuwan - he was experienced.

Davis is a freshman who just scratched the surface of what he can be.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm a bit of a homer, obviously, but that '09 UNC team would have given them fits as well. There's no way Terrence Jones would have been able to guard Hansbrough and Lawson would have eaten Teague alive. Also, remember, that team romped through the tournament as well and, I believe, won every game by double digits.

I know you love Davis a lot, Devil, but there are four other guys on the court and you have to consider those matchups as well.

And yeah, that frontline of Noah, Horford, and Brewer, would have been able to matchup well with this Kentucky team. Noah would have cleaned up the glass when Davis helped out on the weakside, which is something Withey didn't do.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Forget about this team - how about, what was it 82 or 83?

I mean, I know they had nobody who could tie Anthony Davis's shoes but they did have some guy named Jordan and another named Worthy who were fairly decent.....

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1982. Worthy was gone by 83 (though Jordan and Perkins were still there).

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Except that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about how this team stacks up against other college teams as college players.

I'd take the 1990 or 1991 UNLV teams over this group. And as much as it pains me to type this, the Laettner-Hurley-Hill Duke teams are probably better as well.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't know about Krystal, but Ale 8 bottles would make hellacious projectile weapons. Very heavy glass.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I agree, and like I said earlier, I'm not sure this Kentucky team would have been any better than the fifth best team in the country in 2008. The Kansas team that won it had all the toughness and defense of this year's version, but with much more depth, experience, NBA talent and outside shooting. UNC was just as loaded. UCLA had multiple NBA players, including two stars. Memphis had a future NBA MVP.

9. Armchair_QB

Of course if Calipari was coaching at UK Rose would probably have been playing there and not Memphis.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My God has the Anthony Davis mania gone haywire. I blame ESPN.

First off, Laettner -- and I agree with zag, he was the best college player since Walton -- would have nailed 15-17 foot jumpers all night long until Davis came out to get him. Kansas and the rest of the tournament field had zero people who could do that. And a bigger player would have just worn out his body.

He was a very good college player and a #1 pick, but there have been dozens of college players better. Navy wouldn't have beaten Kentucky with a bunch of future submarine commanders against a bunch of future NBA wings, but David Robinson would have owned that matchup.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Davis is so long he could reach back in time and swat that thing if he wanted to.

12. Armchair_QB

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted