1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NCAA Basketball Thread 2014-15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

This has been mentioned on here before, but nobody has ever proven that he cheats. He may be a cheesy bastard who can't give a good quote to save his life, but nobody has ever said how he cheats or given any specifics.

Next generality.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

He's a good recruiter, but almost every coach in the country would say he's a dirty recruiter. That doesn't necessarily mean he breaks NCAA rules, but he crosses lines most coaches find acceptable. I know he's been accused by more than one Big 12 staff of sending out packets to recruits with misinformation about other programs they were recruiting against. I think Rick Barnes got mad when he sent stuff to an academic-minded mother that included lies about Texas' graduation rates.

College basketball is funny. Pretty much every coach breaks the NCAA rules, but there's a code most of them adhere to, things that can and can't be done. If Drew ever gets fired there won't be many coaches lining up to hire him as an assistant, but he might get another head coaching job. It would be similar to Bruce Pearl, who was pretty much blackballed for years for breaking the unwritten rules.

3. Jake_Taylor

And Eastern Michigan just took a 3-point lead in Ann Arbor at the under-12 timeout. Maybe NJIT isn't all that special.

4. Jake_Taylor

EMU pulled it out. What is wrong with Michigan?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

All their good players went to the NBA.

And, EMU is having a pretty good season for a lower-division MAC program.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Here are a couple examples I don't have to search for.

Here are a couple examples that I don't have to search for.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The excessive number of texts thing...yeah, the assistant sent more texts than permissible, but the actual number of texts sent was something less than half a percent of the total number of texts sent during the recruiting period. That's just nicpickey, and that rule was eventually changed because a lot of coaches were busted for the same thing.

And that's the extent of the cheating that you can pin on Drew? That's not even a blip.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

When he hired Dwon Clifton, who was one of the AAU coaches for John Wall and Quincy Miller, that's the first time I started to believe that perhaps there is some fire behind the Scott Drew-is-a-cheater smoke. Shockingly Clifton didn't stick around the coaching ranks. He's now an agent and reps Miller. The entire recruitment scene around John Wall was shady as hell.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, let's see, since the spring of 2013 they've lost Trey Burke, Nick Stauskas, Tim Hardaway, Jr., Glenn Robinson Jr., Mitch McGary, Jordan Morgan, while adding nothing much as new replacements (Zak Irvin, Derrick Walton and umm....?).

I'm not getting all the "big mystery" type talk today over Michigan's struggles. To me, the reason appears obvious: they ain't nearly as talented this year as they were the last two years.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Maybe Brady Hoke is trying his hand at coaching basketball. No headset needed, you know.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I was going to say "Yet they somehow beat Syracuse." But looking at it now, I guess Cuse isn't exactly covering itself in glory so far this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted