1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running music videos used to be cool thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Apr 23, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Watching Mike & The Mechanics' "All I Need Is A Miracle" as I type. Remember when music videos were five-minute mini-movies? With plots and dialogue and a regular place in the schedule? Good times.

Anyway, you, too can watch it--and wonder how this tubby guy ran around London and found, lost and found more than 500 pounds, all in less than four minutes!

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What are these music videos of which you speak?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I remember kids in my high school staying up all night watching MTV and talking about it the next day before they fell asleep in class.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember when Jason and Justine Bateman used to host Friday Night Videos on NBC. Ah, the '80s.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm still trying to forgive my dad for stopping my recording of MTV's top 500 videos in the middle. "It was over," he said. "An episode of Happy Days was on."

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What was the plot of "Rock Me Tonight"?

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Mike Rutherford... where Kenny Loggins meets Pete Townshend

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Remember when MTV2 was created years ago, with its sole purpose to run just music videos?

Good luck finding any on there, too...

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I remember 120 Minutes. We used to tape it Sundays at Midnight then watch it the next day.

And Mike and the Mechanics?!?!?!

The Beasties' Sabotage was a classic, and the one with the guy running on fire the whole time. I can;t remember the band right, but Spike Jonze did it. Good song, too.

Rock the Cradle of Love seemed to be pretty good too, very limber girl.

Of course, then there's the bare minimum of Bastards of Young by The Replacements.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Mike Rutherford is leagues ahead of Kenny Loggins.

Interesting example, BYH ... I was thinking of "Taken In," but apparently that's not on heavy rotation more than 20 years later. :)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Mike+and+the+Mechanics+Taken+In&search_type=

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Some of my favorite music videos of all time:

(Korn - "Freak on a Leash")

(Aerosmith/Run DMC - "Walk This Way")

(no words are necessary)

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Night Tracks. Now that was a show.

Draft saved Draft deleted