1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Movie Awards Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Dec 7, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I kind of wish Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse had won Best Picture instead of best animated. I think it might have if it had a better title.

Best three movies I saw this year were Spider-Man, Free Solo, and The Favourite. Not sure why, because of the existence of other categories, the first two couldn't have been considered alongside the third for Best Picture as well.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Not Jimmy, Evan Hayes, one of the producers. (The bearded white guy who couldn't wipe the grin off his face.) Super nice guy, too. Making that movie stressed the hell out of him. I think part of him was sure that Honnold was gonna die.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

there are tons of cases where looking back the wrong winner was selected. Robert Downey Jr should have won for Chaplin over Pacino for Scent of a Woman, but the Academy owed Pacino.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The part about white movie makers not being able to "win" was what I was addressing - and to the larger Green Book stuff.

As journos I think it is like when you're covering a beat all year - the preps beat or whatever - then one of the A1 people or columnists gets the assignment when it comes down to the championship game or whatever.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

When will someone write a ballad on the plight of the poor white filmmaker?

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You’re right. Let’s give all the money to black filmmakers and trust that they will make balanced movies...or more likely they’d get the same response from certain circles. Can’t please everyone so don’t bother trying. If I were Peter Farrelly, I would name my next film a joint and dedicate it to spike lee

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

He's a big enough asshole to try that, actually.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Where you see an asshole move, I see inspired hilarity. Ce la vie

heyabbott likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Trumbo.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I watched about 2/3 of it with the kids tonight before we had to shut it off for bedtime and, damn, it's good. Really inventive and a unique Spider-Man story for the big screen. I never read any of the Miles Morales books, but this was a good way to introduce him.

It's not the Best Picture of the year, but so far, I'd have agreed if it were nominated. Best movie I saw that was released in 2018 was either A Star is Born or Free Solo. BlackKklansman, Infinity War, Black Panther, Crazy Rich Asians and A Quiet Place were all up there as well. (BTW, I was stunned A Quiet Place didn't win for Sound Editing. The sound was so effective and integral to that movie.)

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think most of the crew thought so as well. Mikey represented that worry for everyone in the film. The look on his face when Alex safely reaches the top is approximately what everyone in the audience feels.

They address it in the film, but their decision to use a remote camera for "the boulder problem" was probably the most poignant part of my interview with Chin. He really struggled with his responsibilities as a filmmaker and a friend, and he got a little emotional when he talked about Alex not wanting his friends to see him fall. If it was going to happen, it was going to happen there.

Hell, most (if not all) of the audience knew he was going to make it and it was still gripping to watch.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sounds like plenty of protest votes this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted