1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Movie Awards Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yesterday afternoon I went back and checked out the Best Picture winners and that year's nominees through history and for every "sure of course, who else" winner like the Godfather or Gone With the Wind there are six or seven "WTF" winners like Greatest Show on Earth, Rebecca or Dances With Wolves. And any number of legendary movies weren't even nominated. His Girl Friday being the most notable example in my mind.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the recent rise of the movie awards PR "sub-industry" has a lot to do with the number of forgettable best picture winners. Movies don't have to be "all-time greats" they just have to be perceived as the best picture right before the nominations and when the voting occurs.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Birdman
    Spotlight
    Moonlight
    Shape of Water
    Green Book

Jesus. Five years of forgettable

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Spotlight was not a "forgettable" film. It was a tremendous one.

5. Agreed 100 percent.

6. DanOregon

I've come to think I've seen too many movies or the people that greenlight movies haven't seen enough. I thought Birdman was a very good movie, Spotlight as well - though it didn't break a whole lot of new ground (could have been a TV movie from the '70s). Shape of Water was extremely overrated as was Roma (though it was a well-shot film). My main problem with Roma is I never even got a hint of what was going through the housekeeper's mind and the movie (or the other characters) didn't seem to want to know either. It's like she wasn't even a real person.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The Shape of Water was pure nonsense.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. DanOregon

An artsy-fartsy Splash meets ET. You have this national secret being studied by the DoD and one guard? And you have no problem with the cleaning lady having lunch with it? So dumb. Also found Richard Jenkins' character to be very gratuitous.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I interviewed Jimmy Chin last year. Really nice guy and helluva documentary filmmaker.

10. bigpern23

Elliott should have won for supporting actor. He was incredibly good in A Star is Born.

As for "Bohemian Rhapsody," apparently they changed the timing of Mercury's diagnosis and the LiveAid concert. Seems like a rather large bit of poetic license that made the film less appealing to me. Then again, I loved The Greatest Showman despite its historical flaws, so who am I to judge?

11. bigpern23

It must have been amazing on IMAX. I was freaking out watching it in my damn living room, never mind on a 60-foot screen.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I really liked "Bohemian Rhapsody," despite the liberties it took with the story, but I didn't consider it Best Picture-worthy. Rami Malek's performance, though, I did think was deserving of the award.

Draft saved Draft deleted