1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Movie Awards Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Dec 7, 2018.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm not joking, I thought it was great. I did a search and saw no nominations...happy to see it got one!

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That was my problem. Vice is a textbook example of style overtaking the story.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Won't You Be My Neighbor? can't even get a nomination?!!

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And what about Bird Box?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know they expanded the best picture noms - didn't realize they also expanded several of the other categories as well - eight songs? Gonna be a long broadcast.

And I know giving the best supporting actor has a habit anyway of going to a veteran character actor who has paid their dues - but damn I'd still really like to see Sam Elliott get it. And considering Rockwell and Ali are the last two winners of the category, that leaves Richard E. Grant and Adam Driver to choose from.

Also I'll be rooting for Glenn Close and Amy Adams. Looks like it will be a good night for a Star is Born though (and don't be shocked if Kristofferson and Streisand are presenters).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  6. DanOregon

Pretty safe bet that the paisley bra Michael B. Jordan is wearing won't catch on.

It's A Harness! It's A Bib! It's A... Wait, What Is It?

I do like the SAG awards - one, it's probably the most airtime a pro-union message gets on national TV every year. Two, it's nice to hear about actors struggles. Even more to hear working actors encouraging those who aren't working as much as they'd like. Third, the in memoriam segment always features people you "know" but may not have known their names or that they had died.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Malek getting the SAG bodes well for the Oscar since it’s actors that vote for both right?

8. DanOregon

Actors make the biggest bloc.

Funny thing about the Best Actor nod, it often seems to go to the actor who plays the character who suffers the most.
    Mercury died of AIDS, Hanks won for dying of AIDS and losing the love of his life to AIDS. DeCaprio won for being attacked by a bear. Nicholson won because he got a lobotomy, Al Pacino went blind, Casey Affleck's kids died in a fire, Eddie Redmayne got ALS, McConaughey died of AIDS, Daniel Day Lews was murded at a theater and had cerebral palsey, Colin Firth had a stutter, Jeff Bridges was an alcoholic, Sean Penn was murdered.....others have survived the Holocaust, been severely injured etc.

9. DanOregon

Academy Unveils the 4 Oscar Categories to Be Presented During Commercial Breaks

Okay - I get that the respective organizations that govern the various categories signed off on this, and volunteered and will be rotated year by year - but CINEMATOGRAPHY? Always thought that was a biggie. There is a reason the Director of Photography is among the last five or six credits in a title sequence. I'd opt for sound design and sound editing - it tends to have several repeat winners and is not a very visually engaging segment.

10. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

After watching Roma, Cuaron showed how easily you can make a movie without actors or a story....

12. DanOregon

It's actually Oscars weekend - and nobody really cares.

Draft saved Draft deleted