1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MMA thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tripp McNeely, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Tonight was "UFC 82: Pride of a Champion" with Anderson Silva successfully defending his middleweight (185-pound) title against Dan Henderson.
    Of all the UFC events this year thus far, it was this main event that I was most anticipating. Silva is one of the most exciting fighters in the world. I know a few people who aren't fans of MMA who enjoy watching Silva fight.
    I thought Henderson's wrestling style would cause some problems for the Brazilian, and that proved correct in the first round. But Silva is probably the most accurate striker I've seen in the sport (at worst he's top 3). He was able to stun Henderson (who's never been KO'd) enough to eventually cinch in a rear-naked choke.
    I was actually kind of hoping that Henderson would win to open the division up a little bit. But with Silva winning, there's nothing left for him to prove. There's rumors of him moving up to 205 for a bout with Chuck Liddell. I'm not sure what weight Silva usually walks around at, but I think he might be able to pull it off. I'm not saying he'd beat Liddell, but it'd be a helluva entertaining fight.

I think the biggest surprise, for me, was the announcement that former UFC champion Mark Coleman is coming back to the Octagon to fight Brock Lesnar. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I was anxious to see Lesnar against another young fighter who was closer to his skill level (Mir was far above Lesnar, jiu-jitsu wise).
    I think Lesnar will beat Coleman, despite the vast experience advantage Coleman has on him. Coleman was always pretty one dimensional (mostly a wrestler). I think Lesnar will be better conditioned, quicker and stronger than the former champ.

Anyone else wonder how angry Andrei Arlovski must be that UFC let his contract run out, yet they sign Mark Coleman to a 4-fight deal?

2. FightScribe

FightScribe Member

I was able to catch a little bit of the event tonight while at work.
    I hope Silva does move up because there's no one at 185 to challenge him. Think of the potential matchups at 205 with Liddell, Quinton Jackson, "Shogun" Rua, Forrest Griffin, Keith Jardine.

Kind of disappointing to see Henderson drop to 0-2 since returning to UFC (he fought there early in his career before moving to Pride). He fought a great fight against "Rampage," and lost a close decision. Then, he had to face Silva, who's probably the hottest fighter in the sport right now. I hope he gets a chance to get back on track and make some money because he's a good guy.

I'm kind of bummed that Arlovski appears done with UFC. When he's on his game, there are few heavyweights more exciting. But he's laid a couple of stinkers before tonight's win. When Arlovski comes out all GQ looking, he's not the same as when he's got the caveman look going. I'm gonna miss the fangs. I know he'll probably sign with EliteXC or M-1, though. He could very well be Fedor's next opponent.

Coleman vs. Lesnar is a joke. I hope Dana White and UFC don't make the mistake of using Lesnar in sideshow fights. He's got real talent and could bring the sport a lot of recognition.

Nice thread. There's so much to talk about the sport right now, let's keep this one going for a while.

3. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Write it down: Arlovski isn't going anywhere. His management wants him to stay, Dana wants him there. There was a lot of issues going on that haven't been discussed, but unless EliteXC comes in with some ridiculous blow-away offer, Arlovski is staying.

By the way, UFC didn't let Arlovski run his deal out. It was actually his choice to finish out his deal and see what the open market bore him. He didn't think it would take him 11 months to get a fight, but Dana plays hardball sometimes. But I think it is mostly water under the bridge now. He wants to stay.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn. i thought this was the running MDA thread.

5. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Only four posts until the first jerkoff sighting. I guess I couldn't have expected much longer than that.
    And, if you're interested in making a donation to MDA, I can give you the web site address. But, if you just brought the MDA up to make a joke, well, stay classy.

6. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Yes, you're right. Technically, it was Arlovski's choice to let his deal run out. But if UFC wanted to sign him, they would've. They just chose to make him an offer toward the lower end of what he was expecting. That's bottom line.
    And, I wouldn't be shocked to see EliteXC overpay Arlovski, especially in light of the new CBS deal. Arlovski has the looks and knockout power that would make him marketable. I see EliteXC becoming what TNA is to pro wrestling: being a little too willing to sign WWE (or, in this case, UFC's) castoffs because they're recognizable names.

One thing I hope doesn't happen is the rumored Ken Shamrock vs. Kimbo Slice match. If that airs on CBS, that's going to set MMA back quite a few years to the general public. Gary Shaw is all about $$$ (not saying Dana White and the Fertitta's aren't but they've done a lot to develop the sport) and his signing of Ken Shamrock and his son Ryan raised a red flag.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god, a guy recreates himself but still is a douche. imagine that.

8. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Don't act like you were coming on this thread with the intention of doing anything but rile up the people who post on here.
    I'm not saying you're a troll in the broad sense of the term, but you trolled this thread, whether you want to admit it or not.
    If you were making a legit contribution to the thread, or trying to debate the merits of MMA, I wouldn't have reacted as I did. I just think your response was bush league, especially coming from someone who's been on this site for so long and has probably dealt with message board trolls.

Also, who do you think I am? I'm a long time reader of the board, but just started posting about a month ago. You must have me mistaken for someone else. But, you calling me a douche on a thread you trolled is rich with irony.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

for starters, i could give two fucking shits what you think of me. you have been and always will be a douche. keep pinning yourself on a cross ... the rest of us laugh at you, not with you.

and mda is what they used to call Ecstasy, dipshit.

10. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

I have been and always will be a douche? Hmmm, I think this is the first time we've ever interacted.
    And, my bad, I'm not up on the Ecstasy lingo. I guess you weren't talking about the Muscular Dystrophy Association. I was wrong, you're full of class.

By the way, you said "the rest of us laugh at you, not with you." Who exactly is "us?"

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm full of class? you're the one trolling your own fucking thread.

by the way, have i mentioned you've always been a douche?

12. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

I'm trolling my own thread? What was your initial contribution? Seriously, what point were you honestly trying to make? And if you say you were just trying to be funny, do you honestly believe what you wrote was funny?

And, you keep saying I've always been a douche. I don't believe we've ever interacted before today. You implied I reinvented myself. I'm a longtime reader of the board, but only created a login last month and have been posting since.

Draft saved Draft deleted