1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MLB Thread, Part the Fourth, 2007

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm almost sure they won 90-plus games in 1979 and finished second to the Pirates.

They might have also finished second w/90-plus wins in 1978 and 1980, though I think the Phils only won 90 or 91 games in '80.

Those Expos teams really could have used a wild card. Who knows where the franchise would be now if they'd made a World Series?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, that was the Expos' worst finish in the previous four years. They were a win away from the World Series in '81 and won 95 games in '79 (also won 90+ in 1980, 1987 and 1993, too.) Oh, but for Rick Monday ... :'(

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Didn't the Expos have the best record in baseball at the time of the 1994 strike?

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Wow. That is something to consider. They might have been one guy away from building a dynasty. Imagine that. Everyone asking to be traded to Montreal so they could play for a winner. Then the Cubs never get Dawson and never get humiliated in the playoffs.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, a 6-game lead over the Braves for best record in the NL and a 3.5 game lead over the Yankees for best record in baseball. Interesting stuff.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

... with a loaded outfield of Grissom, Walker and Alou (all 27 years old), a young Wil Cordero and Cliff Floyd, a young Pedro Martinez behind ace Ken Hill and a dominant bullpen duo of Rojas and Wetteland.

They were a force, no question about it. Would've been a helluvan NLCS against the Braves.

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Didn't the have Delino DeShields at that point, also? I believe he was a ROY or an almost ROY.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Buckdub, I nominate you to start the new running baseball thread.

It's a slow day, though, so you'll have to dig deep for a good starter.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, I can turn off the Phillies game now because I just saw Erin Andrews looking great and I don't think anything is going to top it.

And the Mariners have the early 1-0 lead.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why did the Cubs put Aramis Ramirez on the DL and who will play in his place?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Do it.

End Of Thread.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

this thread's not over til I say it's over!!!!

It's over!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.