1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MLB Thread, Part the Fourth, 2007

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hunter with the go-ahead ribbie for the Twinks.

Pallister, remind me to add you to the X-Mas card list. :D

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, the Mariners are saying Felix Hernandez's problem is his back, too? Makes me wonder if we're dealig with the J.P. Riccardi approach and he'll have TJ surgery tomorrow... ::)

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

For all of us who care (that would be me and me alone), Nats win again. Four in a row and 11 of 15 since being 9-25. Would not have thought then they'd get to 20 wins before 30 losses.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Honestly, I don't know. I sure hope not, but if they talked about it on the mound before pulling him, it feels like a precautionary measure to me.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Mark Reynolds a double away from a 5-for-5 cycle.

What does Arizona do with the severely declining Chad Tracy when he comes back?

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Atkins: Definitely the buy low theory. The guy is just 27 and coming off two nice seasons.

Helton: Remember he has a no-trade clause and had said he would not entertain a trade during the season (although I'm sure he could be convinced otherwise).

7. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Not sure of the protocols here, but some of the funniest stuff I have ever read is appearing in responses to Geoff Baker's Seattle Times blog on the Mariners. I say funny, but some of it has a dark xenophobic side. Here's a sample from one message; I'll leave the handle off.

I need to get a few things off my chest about Ichiro. These things have been boiling up and I'm just going to say them. WARNING: For those of you who are die-hard Ichiro loyalists, you might find these comments disrespectful and/or outright offensive.

Here are the 6 reasons why Ichiro bugs me:

Paltry productivity. This in the context of the likely $17 million a year he's likely to command as a free agent. For getting so many hits, he has a minimal impact on the game. He has changed that of late, getting more aggressive on the basepaths. But he's a slaphitter who is not frequently (enough) a game-changer.

Arrogance. There, I said it. It's taken a while for the veil to come down, but what I see behind it is arrogance. He's pretty full of himself. He says he'd like to be a pitcher when he turns 40. Shall we talk about respect? How about respect toward the skill and craft of pitching, which players devote their lives to -- and he hints that he'll be able to take it up at age 40? Fancying himself as an entertainer.

Mysteriousness. It's not just that he only does Interview in Japanese, it's how he uses the media as a buffer. He's not an open book; he doesn't embrace that aspect of the game. He's cagey, he gives veiled answers. It was cool for awhile, but it's grown tired.

Lack of a team mentality. Reluctance to move to center field. Not diving for balls. Questioning the manager (again, in a veiled way). Within this comment is that I think he lacks the leadership component you would hope your star player would have.

Absence of loyalty. Seattle and the Mariners have been good to him. But he's making it pretty clear that he's going to absolutely do what's best for Ichiro. No mention of a possible home-team discount. No words of reassurance or appreciation toward the organization or the city.

Stretching. Enough already with that. How limber do one man's groins need to be? They might fall off one of these days, just separate from the bones. OK, I'm kidding about this.

BOTTOM LINE: We should trade Ichiro before the deadline and get some young studs in his place. For those of you who will squawk, "But he's our best player, blah, blah, blah" I agree (tho Felix is our most valuable talent asset). This isn't about whether he's a good player or not. It's about whether you pay him all that money. Or trade him and get some value before he takes off.

I say trade him. And not b/c of the annoyances listed above (but they do make the decision easier, from this fan's perspective, though I would not expect -- nor hope -- that the GM/ownership to have the same set of criteria).

No indication that this guy is being ironic. One other respondent does seem to be channeling BandwagonBoy from time to time.

Would any of you folks consider the annoying and mysterious Ichiro a good pickup for your favorite team?

8. Simon_Cowbell

Oh well, he had to settle for another homer.

Thirteen total bases.

Chad Tracy, meet Wally Pipp.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Is Hoffman hurt?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Nats' pitching hasn't been bad. Some of those young starters look decent. If the Nats continue to hit, they'll be OK.

Meanwhile the Brewers continue to create nationwide doubt with their shitty road trip. Hey Dave Bush, you are not good. That is all.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Story I read said his arm was sore after pitching three of the previous four games. Sounds harmless enough.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Zeke,

I could really use a new Sox hat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.