1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MLB Thread, Part the Fourth, 2007

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I have a general question: With the way things have developed in the last 10-20 years (ESPN, Extra Innings etc.) are Hall of Famers being more easily recognized than they were in the past. It seems like most everyone that should get in nowadays gets in on the first ballot, with Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux appearing the next three no-brain candidates.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

My sig man, Junk Jones. He takes at-bats from Felix Pie and ruins my life every day.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

So Hammer, how are you feeling about that team of yours?

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

And spnited, what do you think of your team -- still in first place but unable to beat those Braves. Will it be that way the rest of the season?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I certainly think that those three pitching for Atlanta and being on television nationwide during the peak of their careers helped them.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Mets are 3-6 against the Braves, 26-11 (.702) against everybody else

Braves are 22-16 (.579) against everybody else.

The Mets still have the best record in the NL (tied for 2nd in majors behind Boston).

If Mets go 5-14 against the Braves and play .630 (90-53) against rest of the league, they win the NL East with 95 wins.

In other words, who cares if they don't have a winning record against the Braves, as long as they have a better overall record than the Braves, as they do and they will.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

spnited -- Is Reyes slumping a little bit?

I caught a couple of his at-bats last night, and he appeared to be pulling off the ball a little.

Of course, Smoltz is still pretty nasty, so it could have been that...

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Can anyone explain to me what set Dontrelle off from the Phillies' dugout last night? At who was he yelling?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes Reyes is slumping as is Beltran... Delgado still not hitting..Wright just getting hot (except last night)

In other words, the team with the best record in the NL hasn't really played all that well yet

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

You may be right, spnited, but what if the wild-card Braves beat the Brewers in the first round while the Mets beat the Dodgers (I know I'm jumping the gun but it's fun), then it will be Mets-Braves in the NLCS. What happens there, Jose Sosa-breath?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Prediction: Pedro Martinez will be the best second-half addition any team makes.

If he comes back and pitches August and September, he could just be hitting his stride heading into the playoffs.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think you witnessed Mets-Dodgers in 1988, Casty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.