1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MLB thread, Act V, 2007

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's about that time again ...

Boy, it makes you feel old when you realize that Frank Thomas can't even have his Willie Mays falling-in-the-outfield moment ... because he's not even good enough to play the field anymore.

Tim Brown on <a href="http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aj0xp2SxXkxxGo5KuCut.4kRvLYF?slug=ti-thomas060907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns">the Dwindling Hurt</a>.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Even at .230, his eight dingers would be a vast improvement for the Twins at the DH spot.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nah, Mendoza's career high in homers was 2.

Jason Tyner can do that. Of course, he doesn't play the field...

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Someone take that drink away from Sutcliffe. ::)

That was a pretty awful and out-of-nowhere "I want to buy a vowel!" joke about Erin Andrews. We get it, she's a hot blonde.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Those two are dumb and dumber.

The worst analysist-sideline reporter combo in the game, bar none. They make me cringe every time they open their mouths.

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I remember when Frank first came on the scene as this lumbering slugger who was Cecil Fielder if Cecil Fielder had passed on dessert and discovered aerobic exercise.

It's sad to see these guys get old.

For what it's worth, though, I looked at Frank's numbers this season, and there is a bright spot. His OBP is actually still .368. That's a little under what he's done in the past, but it's not bad considering that he's not hitting so well. It sounds like he might not be getting many pitches to hit. Perhaps he's taking some hacks at bad pitches. He has Glaus behind him in the lineup. But Glaus has been out about 20 games so far.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Phillies and the White Sox.

Be still my beating heart.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I can't believe I keep hearing so many take Seattle seriously. They are this year's version of the Reds, which I told you all last year would crumble. Seattle finishes below .500. And it won't be particularly close.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I thought Seattle looked atrocious when I saw them in Vegas at the end of spring training. Just a terrible lineup -- and even worse pitching.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Could not agree more.

11. melock

melock Active Member

Eric Milton is having season-ending elbow surgery. He signed with the Reds in 2005 for 3 years and $24.5 million. He is 16-27 and gave up 40 dingers in 2005. Terrible free agent signing.....terrible!!!! One good decision the Phillies made.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Most predictable failure ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.