1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MLB First-Year Player Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Comma Chameleon, Jun 7, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Couldn't give a shit about the baseball team. Or the basketball team since Haney left.

Danny Haney...one of my inexplicable crushes.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

You can never have enough pitchers.

If two of those guys have good big league careers, the Tigers beat the odds something fierce.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So is it the amateur draft or the first-year player draft? Wondering for my story.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Haney was definitely old school, was he not? :D

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

True true, it's never a bad thing. And more position players can emerge from the middle rounds.

I'm pretty sure it's first-year player draft, but not 100 percent on that.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Phillips also forgets that Mauer guy, who's pretty good when healthy, even if he's not a "bopper," per se. It is a marvel to me that Phillips was ever a GM. I'm not one of those guys who will rip talking heads because I'd hate to have to talk on the spot. I've done it a few times and it's not my specialty. But Phillips' diaper needs changing almost every time I see him.

And from the Northwest colleges geek, there's Lewis-Clark State College in fragrant Lewiston, Idaho. It's essentially a CC, with a couple of really nice programs in teaching, nursing, dental hygiene and professional baseball.

Lewis & Clark College is a Division III private liberal arts school in lovely Portland, Ore. The Pioneers might have been America's worst football team last year, going 0-9 with an aggregate score of 456-96.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No. 4 overall and the Pirates take some lefty project who will probably end up in the bullpen....because they are cheap and stupid....exactly why that team will suck forever...

8. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Terrible pick by the tribe with Beau Mills. I wish he would have gone to Oakland, just for you.

9. Lester Bangs

OK, I'll bite ... why is he a terrible pick?

10. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

He would most likely project at best to be a DH with power and a nice OBP but a poor batting average. I would have liked to see the Indians draft some one with a higher ceiling. He might make it to the majors in 3 years but he seems like a mid level type of player. Most experts had him going lower in the draft based on his ceiling.

11. Lester Bangs

Everything I read had him at 10-20 and many called him the best natural hitter in the draft. Dunno. Not an Indians fan, but the kid can flat-out swing the bat. Was hoping he'd drop to the Red Sox.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I know, I just wanted to re-iterate that point. Anyone know how the other ESPN baseball guys (Stark, Olney, Gammons, etc...) view him?

Draft saved Draft deleted