1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MLB First-Year Player Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Comma Chameleon, Jun 7, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

What position?

And is he cute?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

First base, I think.

I wouldn't kick him out of my bed, but he's no Sean Bean.

3. sportschick

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Just googled him. He has Brook eyebrows.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

His dad was all-field, no-hit as I recall. Or maybe it was no-field, no-hit.

All I know is getting his Expos baseball cards back in the day was an annoyance.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

OK, I need to vent here.

Steve Phillips is a moron. The Twins just drafted a kid named Ben Revere, a CF prospect (bye, bye, Torii) who apparently is a speed demon.

Phillips began his analysis of the pick by saying Revere was a perfect fit for the Twins, "Because of the way they HAVE to play baseball, they don't have the big boppers in the middle of the lineup."

Do you even watch baseball, Steve?

The middle of the Twins lineup:

Michael Cuddyer .298 8HR 41RBI 38R
    Justin Morneau .276 16HR 45RBI 38R
    Torii Hunter .302 13HR 47RBI 34R

Morneau is second in the league in homers, Huner is tied for fourth. Hunter is fifth in the league in RBI, Morneau sixth. All three are in the top 25 in the league in OPS.

So, I ask again, does Steve Phillips even pay attention to baseball?

7. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Beau Mills dropped down to Lewis-and-Clark, an NAIA school, after leaving Fresno State due to academic problems. That would usually flush a player down the draft board, but his play in summer collegiate leagues showed he was one of the best in the country.

In terms of what he brings, it's power, power and more power. He played third, but is likely going to be moved to first. No glove.

And I think Lewis-and-Clark is Monica Lewinsky's alma mater.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Weathers is/was a reliever, IIRC

9. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

That's correct. I didn't catch that in Pants' post.

I hope ESPN2 doesn't spend the next 50 minutes rehashing the first round. The sandwich round is next and has some interesting story lines.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Not only that, but I loved how Ravech added those little facts in after Phillips' verbal diarrhea ended (for the moment). Plus, is there any chance that Brackman WON'T sign with the Yankees and play in the NBA? He can get gobs & gobs of money from them, even if he's a lock to get TJed (Tommy John-ed) within a year. He stopped playing basketball LAST YEAR! Thank you, Lord, for letting Peter Gammons stay with us on this wretched earth a little longer. He's the best analyst/reporter the WWL has for all four of their sports (yes, I include hockey in this convo.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Facts? I don't need your damn facts! Fuck Candy!

It's still funny.

Then again, Vols had three guys taken in the top 39, and they didn't even make the NCAAs (which is why Delmonico is looking for a job).

EDIT: Moland Spring called me a fan boy for saying all three Tennessee players would go in the first round or right afterward. So ... taste defeat and kiss my ass!

And good luck to the Dodgers in signing Adkins. They took Hochevar around the same time after his junior year, and that worked out really well...

12. sportschick

It's Lewis-Clark State, Kaylee. Lewis-and-Clark is JUCO in the same part of the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted