1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MLB awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Nov 7, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Motherfucker.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry man. Nothing personal. You're a good dude. Here, an olive branch:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I would give up my chalupa for her.

Thank you, sir.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Sadly, to even be considered for the Gold Glove sometimes, you HAVE to have pretty good offensive numbers.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It certainly helps the name come to the mind of the voter.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I agree. I also don't believe for a second there were three better defensive outfielders in the A.L. than Curtis Granderson. Hell, I don't think there was three in the majors.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Cabrera played 51 more games at shortstop than McDonald (153-102) and only made three more errors (11-8). In turn, Cabrera beat McDonald in assists, 415-294, and double plays turned, 104-66, at shortstop. And with a higher fielding percentage, although incredibly small -- .983-.982 -- I see no problem with taking Cabrera over McDonald.

McDonald had more flashy plays, but Cabrera was more of a constant player for the Angels.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Silver Sluggers came out today:

AMERICAN LEAGUE AL
    C Jorge Posada, NYY
    1B Carlos Pena, TB
    2B Placido Polanco, DET
    3B Alex Rodriguez, NYY
    SS Derek Jeter, NYY
    OF Vladimir Guerrero, LAA
    OF Ichiro Suzuki, SEA
    OF Magglio Ordonez, DET
    DH David Ortiz, BOS

NATIONAL LEAGUE NL
    C Russell Martin, LAD
    1B Prince Fielder, MIL
    2B Chase Utley, PHI
    3B David Wright, NYM
    SS Jimmy Rollins, PHI
    OF Carlos Beltran, NYM
    OF Matt Holliday, COL
    OF Carlos Lee, HOU
    P Micah Owings, ARI

First of many for Mr. Owings, I think. :D

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are you still fucking humping Micah Owings' jock? Christ. :D

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hey, lay off. There's four players to ever make the major leagues from my hometown -- one is dead, one was a Cub and one of them sucked. Owings is the only hope we have left. :p

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this has always been one of the most baffling things about baseball awards.

it actually defies logic: the award is for fielding skills. and yet you have to be a good hitter to get it.

it's like saying you have to be a good dancer to win at poker. that makes no sense.

and neither does having to be a good hitter to win a fielding award.

i wish someone would change this but i can't imagine how to change things other than a concerted campaign to educate voters, which is probably not what MLB wants, because it's easier to promote the good hitter/good fielder than a john mcdonald.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's tough, because you have to be a good enough hitter to stay in the lineup to be eligible for the fielding award. But except in the case of DHs and freaks like Manny Ramirez and Ted Williams, you also have to be a good enough fielder to stay in the lineup for hitting honors.

It sucks for good-field, no-hit guys like McDonald, because hitting is obviously more valued than fielding. But the fact is, he only played 102 games at shortstop. There's no way he was as valuable in the field as a guy like Orlando Cabrera, who played 153 games (and was almost as good a fielder as McDonald, anyway.)

Draft saved Draft deleted