1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MLB awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Nov 7, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Because it will get lost in the Hot Stove thread ...

Gold Glove awards were announced today. Here are your winners:
    American League
    P Johan Santana
    C Ivan Rodriguez
    1B Kevin Youkilis
    2B Placido Polanco
    SS Orlando Cabrera
    3B Adrian Beltre
    OF Torii Hunter, Grady Sizemore, Ichiro Suzuki

National League
    P Greg Maddux
    C Russell Martin
    1B Derrek Lee
    2B Orlando Hudson
    SS Jimmy Rollins
    3B David Wright
    OF Carlos Beltran, Jeff Francoeur, Andruw Jones, Aaron Rowand

Maddux won his 17th GG, passing Jim Kaat and Brooks Robinson for the most all time. Pudge won his 13th, Andruw won his 10th. Torii and Ichiro got their 7th apiece. Cabrera won his 1st in the AL after winning in 2001 with Montreal. Lotta first-time winners otherwise. Really can't quibble with the choices (although I preferred Tulowitzki over Rollins.)

And the fact that David Wright won at 3B over Chipper Jones or Aramis Ramirez is a fucking disgrace.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Et tu, Ryan Braun?

Not that they deserve any, besides maybe J.J. Hardy, but I think the Brewers have had perhaps two Gold Glovers ever.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

David Wright beating ANYONE this side of Ryan Braun is a fucking disgrace.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wrong, Bubs. They've had ... four. :D

1B George Scott, 1972-76
    OF Sixto Lezcano, 1979
    1B Cecil Cooper, 1979-80
    SS Robin Yount, 1982*

* in my lifetime. Just sayin'.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh and some predictions. Good thing for a few of these guys voting was done as soon as the regular season ended.

AL ROY: Dustin Pedroia
    AL Cy Young: CC Sabathia (snort)
    AL MVP: A-Rod

NL ROY: Ryan Braun
    NL Cy Young: Jake Peavy
    NL MVP: Matt Holliday (the "winning run" that wasn't puts him over the top...would not be surprised at all if this is a tie)

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

BYH, I'm with you on the predictions, but I'm really, really, really hoping Tulowitzki beats out Braun for ROY. I liked watching that kid play.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Was the voting done after the one-game playoff? I know it was a regular-season game, but I was just wondering if there had been a noon Monday deadline on submission of a vote, or not.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Damn you Oz! Damn you to hell! :D

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So Tulowitzki had the fewest errors, the most assists of anyone since Ozzie Smith, turned more double plays than anyone in either league, and had the best zone rating of any shortstop in the game, and anchored a defense that set a major league record for fielding percentage, but he's not the gold glove winner?

Um, ok.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Good call. And he's likely not going to win any award, since Ryan Braun will probably win the ROY. I'd vote for Tulowitzki, but that's just me.

I was a defensive kind of guy when I played ball, so seeing any guy like Ryan Braun have such an inability to play the field annoys me.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You must love Andruw Jones ...

12. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

One of my favorite players. As is Omar Vizquel.

It's not that I dislike offense or that I was an anemic hitter, it's just I'd rather watch a guy play good defense than hit a ball 400 feet. I'm all about watching good pitching and good defense. Plus, in baseball, defense isn't all that hard. Hitting takes a lot of talent and a lot of work. When you're as talented as most of those guys are, defense is all about work. That's what irks me when a guy like Braun makes 30+ errors in a season.

FWIW, I'm the same way with football. I love watching guys who are great defenders. A 17-13 football game is a beautiful thing, as is a 3-1 baseball game.

Draft saved Draft deleted