1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Michelle Wie excuse thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jun 30, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Another weekend, another missed cut at a women's major.

Meanwhile, the winner, Inbee Park, is just 19 years old.
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23943996-2865,00.html

What are the excuses this month?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"I'm a shitty golfer" ?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So she hasn't actually made any excuses, but you're going to start a thread anyway.

Unless you count this as an excuse.

“It doesn’t feel like I played that bad,” Wie said after scrambling for a par on No. 9 from about the same position where she made her quintuple bogey on Thursday. “I’ll just take this as a bad week and go from there.”

Or about maybe having to go to Q-School to earn her card for next season.

“I think the qualifying conflicts with school, so I probably won’t go to that,” Wie said earlier in the week, noting it was tough to take one week off at Stanford last fall to play in a tournament. “But hopefully, I’ll make enough money this year to get exempt for next year. I’ll see how it goes. I’m having a lot of fun playing good again, so that’s all I’m focusing on now.”

Please don't turn into another poster, who has a deep-rooted dislike of the Williams sisters.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I love the 2005 winner's name...made for golf. Birdie Kim!

And this might explain all the Asian-bound flights from Minneapolis! </crossthreading>

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She has played 14 majors.

She has seven top-10 finishes.

Not seven "made the cuts".

Seven top-10 finishes.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Says a lot for the Women's U.S. Open that 19-year-old won the tournament, somebody that turned pro two weeks ago led after three rounds and an 18-year-old amateur who admits she can’t remember her shots and has no idea where she is in relation to the lead contended through the weekend.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

"I ran outta gas. I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from outta town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake, a terrible flood, locusts. It wasn't my fault!! I swear to God!!!"

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The premise of this thread is absurd.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's the Lopez brothers' fault.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

In a couple years, Michelle Wie will be chasing an 18-year-old named Vicky Hurst.

Hurst is (was) the AJGA's 2008 Player of the Year. She won her first pro tournament at 17, setting the Futures Tour (LPGA's version of the Nationwide) 54-hole scoring record in the process.

And while I might out myself in the process, I also saw her win the Futures Players Championship with ease, shooting 65 when everybody else around her fell to pieces. She'll finish in the top 5 on the futures money list, get her card, and Wie will become a blip.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

She's hot.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Not as long as VH-1 continues its I Love the Millennium shows. Wie will always have a spot there.

Draft saved Draft deleted