1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MCU thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

From a Zoe Saldana interview that was just posted:

While Gamora was killed by her adoptive father Thanos in Avengers: Infinity War, a past version of her was brought into the present day in Avengers: Endgame. However, she quickly parted ways with the Guardians since she lacks those years of friendship and character development and did not appear alongside the team in Thor: Love And Thunder. The new trailer for The Guardians Of The Galaxy Holiday Special reveals that old/new Gamora’s reunion with Peter Quill and company is still on the way.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ryan Coogler shares details on what 'Black Panther: Wakanda Forever' would’ve looked like with Chadwick Boseman

Ryan Coogler revealed some of what Wakanda Forever would have been with Chadwick Boseman. Namor was always going to be the antagonist, but interestingly, he the plan had been to explore the theme of grief just as it will be with the current version of the movie. He was going to focus on T'Challa dealing with the repercussions of being away for five years during The Blip.

I'm looking forward to the movie that is coming out Friday. I like what I've heard about the plot, though some of it seems a little too similar to another MCU movie. I think the different takes on Namor and his kingdom are interesting, but it seems as if they are staying somewhat true to the character's power and personality from the comics. I know Namor has often been a hero, but he can be a badass villain. In the comics, he is powerful, charismatic, intelligent, and ruthless.

All of that said, in a small way, it is hard not to think about the loss of Boseman again, not just the man's life being cut far too short, but the great work we didn't get to see. I know that is a little selfish, but I think we all wanted to see more of him on the big screen.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Namor is a mutant.

Sooner or later, we’re getting the All-New All-Different X-Men.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

“He’s not a mutant! NOMAH’S A GOD!” – mid 90’s Masshole

Batman likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He has been an X-Man in the comics, but I doubt we will see him with them in the movies.

No comments about Wakanda Forever yet?

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Freaking great. My too early and emotional thoughts on it is it is top 5 MCU and maybe better than the first. They did great service to T'Challa, which was a cloud that hung over the whole moive. They never backed away from it or just did a funeral and called it good. And the dealings between Shuri and Namor were just fantastic.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Good movie. It’s not a tier-one, IMHO, but good.

More emotional than action, but the MCU can really make a great night time car chase.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

But, but, it looks like a certain someone who used to have a presence on this board begs to differ with your assessment:

I'm planning to see it tomorrow; considering the source of the tweet above, I figure I'm going to enjoy it.
    I'm hearing about the mid-credits scene, is there a post credit scene I need to sit around and wait for?

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Well, that is interesting. Not sure how it is anti-black men, well, I guess there are strong women and fragile men always hate that, but we also know who we are talking about. There are most certainly political undertones that I am guessing will set up future MCU happenings.

There is only the mid-credits scene. I had heard differently but looked it up after the scene. That said, we still stayed. Marvel has tricked us on that! There is just the one, though.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Going to sneak to an early Monday screening, hopefully, before my work picks up for the day.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Just got back from seeing it. It was pretty good; dragged in parts with the exposition on the Talocans, but picked up in the latter half. It's definitely was setting up things a little bit for future MCU movies.
    The mid-credits scene really hit me in the feels; hell of a way to explain a certain character's absence.
    FWIW, the movie got quite a bit of applause in the theater after it ended. I don't see that too often in my experience.
    Since I brought it up on this thread, not really seeing Whitlock's point about the movie being anti-black men, though, like Roscablo, I think he just didn't like the women in the film kicking ass and taking names on their own instead of acting like damsels in distress. I could see why the "America: Love it or leave it" crowd would complain about how the U.S. government looked in this story.
    Also:
    I liked the cameo by MB Jordan as Killmonger and the a-bit-more-than-a-cameo by Julia Louis-Dreyfus. And the disclosure that de Fontaine and Everett Scott were once married got a chuckle out of me.

Scout and Roscablo like this.
  12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Whitlock is dead wrong.

How would he make the movie masculine since the damn main character’s actor died?

Draft saved Draft deleted