1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MCU thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Dec 11, 2020.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I’ll give it a shot because it’s the MCU, but WandaVision looks like a steaming pile of crap.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It looks weird, but I'm giving it a shot for the same reason. I'm hoping they don't spend too much time with the sitcom stuff, that it is just a red herring leading up to more of a mystery/action story. I buy into the speculation that Kathryn Hahn's character, Agness, is actually Agatha Harkness, which would tie more into the magical parts of Wanda's character.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

WandaVision is going to have a big swerve right in the middle of its run that’s going to completely turn the series on its ear.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah - I kind of assume that WandaVision, if anything, is going to be the Mr. Robot of the Marvel universe. Given all of the weird shit she's done in the comics, there are tons of repercussions that she could have on the Marvel cinematic universe at large, from serving as a catalyst for mutants to simply reintroducing the infinity stones in some way to new people.

5. outofplace

That's the other reason I'm going to end up watching the entire series. I think it is going to have a big impact on the overall MCU storyline going forward. It will definitely set up Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness. I'm guessing it will affect the upcoming Spider-Man sequel as well since that seems like it is going to be an MCU take on Spider-Verse.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

When I think of how to introduce mutants and the X-Men to the MCU, I go back not to the original version but the version that was in Ultimate Marvel (the reboot of classic titles for a new, younger audience).

In Ultimate Marvel, one of the key plot points was that mutants popping up everywhere didn’t spontaneously happen; there were a tiny number but they mostly faded into the general population. After Captain America was lost in a glacier, the U.S., NATO and S.H.I.E.L.D. were trying very hard to recreate that program but of course had lost the formula and the scientist. They started playing with DNA from some soldiers — a hairy bastard from Canada named James Howlett, a black man from the United States, and another American soldier named Fisk.

Wolverine, Nick Fury and the Kingpin’s grandfather.

Magneto wasn’t a concentration camp survivor; his parents were scientists at the Weapon X facility in the far Canadian north. Related experiments later got them the Fantastic Four and the Hulk. Everything revolved around trying to recreate the super-soldier formula with Wolverine’s blood.

That would tie in with some previous themes we’ve seen in the MCU — Nick Fury’s secrets have secrets, after all, and nobody really knows what SHIELD is up to (including SHIELD).

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

EDIT: just saw this.:

who knows.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Im really looking forward to Wanda Vision....the early reviews are good and I think we will be pleasantly surprised. The early promos are upbeat and fun. No way that lasts. Not with her character history.

9. outofplace

Oh, it is going to go sideways. The only question is how long they play with the sitcom gimmick first.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Watched the first two and then read some breakdowns.

There are so many potential villains they are Easter Egging that it’s a total mind fuck, which is cool.

Google Avengers 238... 8/23

11. outofplace

We also watched the first two episodes tonight. They were weird and a bit slow. I hope we get a little more of the real story soon, rather than just the tiny hints.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Well, yeah but …

Vision is dead and doesn’t have a glowing rock in his head. The last time we saw it, it was attached to Iron Man’s armor and presumably Cap took it back to wherever they got it from. Whatever is going on, it’s about Wanda.

Draft saved Draft deleted