1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MCU thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I don’t think it fizzled.
    I just don’t think everything is going to be EndGame or a huge post credit reveal.
    Actually, the two post credits were pretty cool, and they are really building female side of the Avengers/Marvel.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wasn't blown away, but I enjoyed the series. My daughter was disappointed for reasons I don't want to mention until we start with the spoilers. My wife tried to hang in, but she doesn't like this stuff enough to hang in with the weirdness like WandaVision.

The post-credit scenes are both good ones, though Rick's characterization isn't far off.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I still believe when this all started over a decade ago, they had the Endgame battle already written.

The outline for this is already written. The climactic battle and players are already chosen. What they are doing now is logically moving chess pieces.

Someone has to connect with someone. Someone needs to develop their powers. This organization needs to show some cracks. We need to establish a motivation for a character.

WandaVision is the opening chapters; it’s not the full story.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is there a 2nd season of WandaVision? Or does it roll into the next series. Which rolls into a movie?

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Yes, it’s called Falcon and Winter Soldier. :)

You could say the Dr. Strange 2 movie will be the follow up to this.

I honestly cannot think of storytelling that mirrors what they will be doing with streaming and movies.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The last tome they also had two (three?) distinct plot lines that converged at Thanos. Maybe they will have 3-4 plot lines converging and WV was the first?

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Saw an interview with Olsen and she said she was filming Strange 2. So that makes sense.

I have not seen the first Dr. Strange. Will have to get to it. Any good?

8. outofplace

I thought it was good, but some thought it was part of the MCU falling into a bit of a formulaic approach to the origin stories in their movies. There are definitely some thematic beats that are very similar to their development of other MCU heroes, especially Iron Man.

The cast list for Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness on IMDB is curiously short. They have confirmed Wanda as well as Wong, Mordo, and Dr. Palmer from the first movie. Wong was the only one to appear in Endgame.

The other confirmed character is a new one to the MCU, America Chavez, a heroic character from an alternate reality in the comics.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The action was good but the outcome wasn’t shocking. She kind of had to end it the way she did. Still enjoyed it, I just wasn’t left with an irresistible urge to post here after watching it.

Sorry spoiler but the end of the military was really meh. It really was the big bad in all of this (more so than the witch) and they were relegated to a token appearance. Even the resolution of white vision was meh.

I am curious where they go for Wanda. The end credits scene left me with questions of what is next and where we see her. Yes Winter Soldier is next, but that is coming out in two weeks is that really going to be where they follow up with Scarlet Witch?

10. outofplace

I'm guessing we won't see any more of Wanda's story until Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, though perhaps it will tie into Spider-Man: No Way Home. I haven't seen any reports of Elizabeth Olson appearing in the latter, but she is a confirmed part of the cast for the Dr. Strange sequel.

I doubt we see any more than a passing reference to WandaVision in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, in part because the plan was for the latter to come out first, so I imagine they were written that way.

This must have been an interesting juggling act. There are some fan theories about connections between Black Widow and Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but that could get tricky since Black Widow won't be out until May and it was supposed to be released first. The theory revolves around both films acting as part of the build-up to a Thunderbolts movie or series. There are characters in both who have served as part of the Thunderbolts in the comics.

Tangent into the comics warning: For those who don't know what the Thunderbolts were, they were part of the Heroes Reborn storyline, which was a soft reboot of most of the characters in The Avengers and The Fantastic Four in 1997. Those characters all sacrificed themselves to stop the villain Onslaught, a sort of evil hybrid of Charlex Xavier and Magneto, but were really shifted into a pocket reality. though they later returned to the main continuity. Their departure left a vacuum, a lack of heroes. A team calling itself the Thunderbolts stepped into that role, but the end of the very first issue contained a fantastic twist. (I suggest finding it online and reading it rather than having me tell it. It really was great stuff.) Eventually, the Thunderbolts morphed into a team of former villains trying to redeem themselves, either by choice or by force. It was a less-shady version of DC's Suicide Squad.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Binged through the whole run of WandaVision with my wife the past three days. She catches the Marvel movies when she can, which is frustrating for me - she saw Endgame without seeing Infinity War, for example, so she didn't even know who Wanda and Vision were. But overall, the series was weird and interesting enough for her that she liked it. Thumbs up from both of us.

I think my viewpoint was kind of similar to Andy Greenwald's, in that my expectations were low because of how the business works. Like, if Disney is debuting Magneto, it isn't going to be in WandaVision. Maybe if there are second seasons for some of these shows, we'll get Mandolorian Season 2 style cameos. Otherwise, I think they're going to save the big guns for the movies.

All that being said, sure, give me more Disney Plus series to flesh out the minor or side heroes. It shouldn't be a big surprise that it works - Netflix was doing fine with Daredevil and Jessica Jones, before deciding to double down on dark-on-dark style tales.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I didn’t understand the final post-credit scene. Anyone tell me what I saw?

Draft saved Draft deleted