1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running liberal vs. conservative, name-calling, cite-old-source-material thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Re: Proof that more liberals run cities than ever before....

How can you serve but not care about politics?
    Let's say hypothetically that a president sent you to a war solely for political purposes -- not to protect anyone; not to secure anyone's freedom; not for any other reason than he needed a bump in the polls.
    Would you really not care? I know soldiers are supposed to do what they are told, but that doesn't mean they have to bury their heads in the sand and go die for absolutely no reason, does it?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Re: Proof that more liberals run cities than ever before....

Absolutely, I'd care.

I just have to hope that a president and congress are smarter than that.

And sure, soldiers have opinions and political views. Most of us just don't let them get in the way of the job.

3. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

You and W feel the same way. Fortunately, the American people are overwhelmingly opening their eyes and demanding change.

I challenge anyone who supports this war and has the gall to question my patriotism to sign up and stop hiding anonymously on journalism message boards.

And, because of our president's attitude, the one you share, I am not obligated to sacrifice in any fashion. But, I will continue to call my congressman's office, donate books and supplies to my local reserve unit and demand our soldiers receive the resources and benefits they deserve.

It's funny for two years, the American people were on the opposite side of this war than myself. But now, the majority of Americans believe we should at LEAST set a timetable to get out.

I challenge YAWN to sign up before its too late.

4. three_bags_full

How can you tell me I share the president's attitude? That's quite a leap.

And I'm not questioning your patriotism, just your tactic -- and Yawn's -- of calling for people to serve when you don't have the balls inclination to do it, yourself.

5. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

W hasn't asked the American people to sacrifice anything to help combat global terrorism.

You say you don't think all Americans should sacrifice during war time.

It's not rocket science.

6. three_bags_full

Right. I can see this isn't going anywhere. You like circles.

I'm done here.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Man, the 101st Fighting Keyboarders are feisty today. Was Rambo on?

Love the reconciliation abilities of posters who think nothing of impugning someone else's patriotism but jump up and down like Yosemite Sam when challenged to prove theirs. (For the record, I've never been a big fan of the "Why don't you enlist?" argument, but I'm not going to chastise others for using it.)

For years, I had my love of country maligned by suckers like Yawn and jimmy for, well, not allowing myself to be played for a total chump by the Bush cabal and its blowhard media apologists when they tried to tell me things about Iraq that clearly were not true.

Now, after my side has been proven right on Iraq so many times that we've stopped counting, you want to question my patriotism again?

Sorry, righties. You're overdrawn at that bank.

And the New Orleans comparison was especially stupid-ass, but it was valid on one point. Like in Iraq, the bravery and dedication of those on the ground can overcome only so much incompetence and corruption from the fucktards at the top.

8. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Sucker? Ha! Going right to the child-like name-calling, as expected.

When did I ever question anyone's patriotism? Way to generalize, Rossi. That's one of those baseless defenses you throw out there when someone disagrees with your views.

In my book, you can be the most way-off-base wacko (right or left) and still be a patriot. As long as you pay your taxes and follow the laws, it's your world.

The New Orleans comparison was right on point. Stop expecting others to do it all, and cash out your IRA to help if you are so passionate about it.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Yeah, the American right in general never tried to paint those against the war as unpatriotic.

And I frankly don't care what you think of my views on Iraq. As I said, my side has been proven right so many times, the scoreboard blew a long time ago.

Go back to your sophomoric stalking of Fenian. You're still overdrawn here, sorry.

10. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Just as I expected from one of FB's ilk. You call me out by name, and then backpedal when confronted by the fact that I have never questioned anyone's patriotism. You seem pretty defensive about your views, though!

I don't care what you think about Iraq, either, and I haven't commented on your views about that. You seem to live in a fantasy gaming world where a score is kept.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

But name-calling is child-like, right?

And regarding Iraq, your characterization of how I feel about my views is off-base.

But if, say, I believed that our presence there is noble and successful, and I was secure in that belief, I sure as hell wouldn't have to make spurious comparisons to New Orleans in a pathetic attempt to guilt critics of the war.

And no, I won't be cashing out my IRA for New Orleans as long as the relief is under the charge of these guys:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/28/AR2007042801113.html?hpid=topnews

ON EDIT: And yeah, you didn't criticise anyone's patriotism on this thread, I'll grant you that. But I'll just keep claiming so, because, after all, you must be "one of Yawn's ilk."

12. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

It's tragically sad you only had to reference a one-day old article.

The list of failures of this administration grows daily as new evidence surfaces.

In the past week

1. Unaccepted Katrina aid
    2. Prostitute scandal
    3. Tenet says Rice didn't care about Al Qaeda threat

Draft saved Draft deleted