1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Lee Enterprises thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 12, 2020.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Which is why I think this deal does not go through.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  2. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Money triumphs over all, and Lee shareholder approval is a certainty. I doubt the FTC will get involved on anti-competitive grounds as Uncle Joe is no media lover.

3. LanceyHoward

You assume that Lee Alden has the money. They tried to buy Gannett and were unsuccessful because the board of Gannett kept asking to see the cash. All Alden could provide was a letter from some Wall Street firm saying they were "highly confident" that Alden could find the cash. So the Gannett board sold to Gatehouse, who had the necessary cash..

But the big stumbling block is Warren Buffett. He holds the debt and leases the BNI real estate to Lee. If he has covenants in the debt agreement allowing him to approve change of ownership (why would he not?) then he can blow it up.

My guess is that no newspaper merger would be entirely blown up by DOJ. They might force a couple of divestures in any overlapping markets.

4. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Only lasts a year. And fuck Mary Junck.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

If Alden offers to give Mary big bonuses for doing nothing every year, she'll push to get the deal approved ... :p

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So, it's like every other deal involving Lee?

micropolitan guy likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Did I read that Lee stock was up to $24 a share? It was down to something like 50 cents a while ago.

Lee stock was great in the 1970s-1990s. You could buy it at 85% of market value, it paid a good dividend, would hover in the 20s and 30s and then split when it got to 40. Provided the money for the down payment and new roof for my house, and some other projects.

But I'm so glad I sold it all before it really tanked.

And yes, f*** Mary Junck with a rusty pica pole.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Alden's like ISIS banging on the doors of an art museum.

10. LanceyHoward

Lee just did a reverse 110 to i stock split to bump up the price. So 100 shares turned into 10. Normally a company would adjust the stock options of the executives also. Otherwise the executives would et a windfall.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Heath Freeman says he’s way better than Gordon Gekko.

Draft saved Draft deleted