1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running LCS thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 11, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And you would be correct. Good catch.

1987 Twins: Scored 786, allowed 806. Expected W-L: 79-83.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Which to me Buck, no offense, proves Pythagorean W-L to be meaningless. Their "expected W-L" means nothing, They had the best record in the NL.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The only reason I'd root for Boston is because Francona seems like a pretty good guy and comes off as a good interview the few times I've heard him. I would guess somebody on here could confirm whether or not any of that is accurate.

I'd like to see Cleveland win it because it's been so long and it would help dull the pain of watching the Browns. If not them, then Colorado because of Todd Helton.

And the Diamondbacks can go fuck themselves.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I really like Colorado to beat 'Zona, simply because the Rockies are hot right now. Boston-Cleveland should be a good series, and I think it comes down to the Sox's experience.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Experience didn't help the Yankees last series. And a lack of it didn't seem to hurt the Indians.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It sounds like Orlando Hudson might return to the Arizona lineup if it makes the World Series.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I have a feeling it's going to be Colorado-Cleveland.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So if he could pitch a little bit better, Micah Ownings would be the next Babe Ruth or Steve Nebraska?

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I think the concept of rooting for a team based on its fans is ridiculous.

If my Sox weren't in here, I'd have no problem rooting for any of the three teams left.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

FWIW, I know a a former beat writer on the Phillies who really enjoyed dealing with Francona. Your thoughts on Francona pretty much fit in with what he told me.

Strangely enough for a Pittsburgh guy, I keep finding myself rooting for the Indians. It's probably just residual fantasy baseball fanboy looserness. I had a lot of those guys on my teams this year. :)

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Which would make sense if Pythagorean W-L was attempting to "prove" or predict anything. It's not.

All it's telling you is that teams that were outscored in a season tend to finish under .500, on average. It's not telling you that Arizona "should" have finished 79-83; obviously, they didn't.

It's telling you that teams that allow more runs than they score are expected to lose more games than they win, because after all, if you don't score more runs than your opponent, you can't win the game, right?

It means Arizona won a lot of close games that they weren't expected to win, and Pythagorean W-L can help you understand that because it tells you how other teams that were outscored like Arizona finished -- usually, about 4 games under .500.

But that's why baseball is played on TV sets, not on paper.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Straight from Kenny Mayne's mouth. ...

Draft saved Draft deleted