1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running LCS thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 11, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, 'gola, I picked the Angels to win it all in July. A major disappointment as far as I'm concerned.

But there is no need to pick on them because there are no Angels fans here.. only obnoxious Yankees fans (ooops, redundant) and cubs/philliesfanboyloosers.

Oh yeah, and disgruntled Mets fans who get their enjoyment wherever they can this October.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Just like I will find new ways to get enjoyment out of baseball the next couple of weeks.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Rockies-Red Sox World Series. Boston in six.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

All true Buck. The team I picked in the summer was nothing like what I saw on the field last week.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I said it before, but it's going to come down to Schilling, Dice-K, and Wakefield (if he pitches). Beckett will get his, and probably Schilling will too. But Matsuzaka was tiring during the end of the season, and I don't know if that one start off really helped his arm that much. It's probably going to be a split in Boston, go back to Jacobs and whatever team's bullpen can hold tight they will take the series lead.

Over in the NL, it's hard to root against the Rockies just because of what they have gone through. Wouldn't that be a story if they ran the table through the playoffs on the way to a World Series title? Winning 14 of their last 15 to get into the playoffs, and then 11 in a row in the post-season.

6. Saw a crazy stat on the Snakes last week. They're the first team since the 1906 Hitless Wonders, IIRC, to have the best record in the league and be last in batting average.

And, of course, both teams beat the Cubs in the playoffs. :p

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And say what you will about Pythagorean W-L, but I think I also heard the Snakes would be the first team that allowed more runs than it scored to win a pennant, if they do so.

Their expected W-L record, based on RS vs. RA: 79-83.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Well, when your best hitter only gets to bat once every five days, what do you expect?

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I could actually see the D-Backs using Owings as a pinch-hitter if they needed to. I could even think about them DHing him in a game if it comes down to it, and he doesn't pitch the next day.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They've got to get to the World Series before they make those plans, but you're right. Why would they sit him when he could contribute like he's done all year -- assuming he could continue his pace? I'm sure Melvin's considered that.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Mike, I've watched and played against that kid since he was 14. He can continue it, I assure you. He hit like that in high school, at Ga. Tech/Tulane, and all through the minor and now major leagues. ... His task now is to learn how to pitch effectively over the course of a whole season at this level, because he's got the stuff to succeed and his makeup is off the charts. He just has to learn the consistency, and that's where more experience will help. I have no doubt that he's capable of it. I've never seen anybody like him.

Mayfly: He was used as a pinch-hitter on six occasions this year. (1-for-4, 1 K, 2 BB).

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I thought I read that the Twins gave up more runs than they scored the year they won the World Series.

Draft saved Draft deleted