1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Iowa tornado/flood thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NX, May 26, 2008.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Re: Tornado-ravaged Iowa community needs SANDBAGS (area now dealing with flooding)

Just went out to the parking lot to get something out of my car, and four National Guardsman walked by on the way to guard the water treatment plant. There are more downtown, and we've got helicopters flying over.

This might not be a fun night.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Re: Tornado-ravaged Iowa community needs SANDBAGS (area now dealing with flooding)

Our bridge to Illinois had to close this morning because of a levee break on that side of the river. U.S. 34 had been one of the main detour routes of I-80, which is reopened now.

The crest comes in the next few hours.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Saw that news about the bridge yesterday and thought about Burlington.... my aunt used to live in western Illinois near Macomb and we crossed at Burlington every time.
    Hope the levees on your side hold and the crest subsides quickly.

4. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

This is a fine thread, but could we change the thread title to reflect that it's the full thread on the floods. I don't see another thread, but maybe I'm missing it.

Not to be critical, but I am interested in how many National Guard troops are now overseas and unable to help with the sandbagging and patrols. Several buddies were deployed to the floods in 1993.

I saw a deployment story that indicated 3,000 Illinois National Guard troops are going to Afghanistan. But it's unclear when or if they left. I think they had staggered deployments. Of course, that number doesn't include those already deployed. According to the ING Web site, they have 13,000 troops. It would have been nice if they could have spared more for this flood. I wonder whether it's indicative of just how far the military is stretched these days.

Best wishes, folks.

Draft saved Draft deleted