1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Interesting Obits Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 20, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I love a good obit.

Today's Times has one about a fellow I never heard of, but who had an interesting story:

[​IMG]

And the scene from The Longest Day:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I always think it's hilarious when family members find it necessary to put the deceased's ridiculous nickname in their obit, like:

John David (Tater Head) Williams, 56, ...

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I liked the obit on the plastic surgeon who apparently died while texting on the PCH near Malibu. The guy did work on Heidi Montag, Lorenzo Lamas and other luminaries. He also had a charity camp for underprivileged kids in Malibu called Camp Bony Pony (I kid you not).

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One of the many reasons "The Economist" is the workl's best magazine is their weekly obit. It's usually someone I never heard of and it's always fascinating reading.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There is a little weekly paper in Alabama, the (Guntersville) Advertiser-Gleam, that is famous for "featurizing" everything, from obits to wedding announcements to random wild animal sightings. Alabama Public Television did a documentary about the paper a few years ago.

One thing that sticks out to me was a 50th wedding anniversary story they did. Turns out the couple met when the man was working at the carnival and he "guessed" his future wife's weight.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What a tremendous story, Steak!! Good on that newspaper!

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Newsweek should have tried that.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Once had an obit where they listed: "Joe Schmoe was born in Germany. He served during World War II. He moved to the United States in 1950 and became a citizen in 1956." I turned to the office clerk, who wrote the obits, and said "Did you notice this? This guy was on the other side in the war!"

Draft saved Draft deleted