1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Hurricane Gustav thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Re: Hurricane wonks: Meet Gustav

Exactly.

Get some better thread titles, people.

2. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

J_D may be getting company soon.

Gustav pulled me out of SJ retirement. Being that I've been in New Orleans for a little more than a year, this guy more than has my attention.

I'm hoping the GFDL model is the outlier. But the models are more and more congregating around a Central Gulf point. I'm no hurricane expert (though I wish I was and might have been in a former life) but this guy does not look good for my fair city.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Knocking on wood, it's interesting how, while in my lifetime in the 20th Century, the prevailing Atlantic hurricane would miss Cuba, veering up east of Florida and usually slamming the Carolinas.

In this century so far, I believe there has been one storm to hit there.

Meanwhile, the Gulf of Mexico is catching bullets with far more frequency than it used to, at least in my memory.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Possible Cat 5 now, by the time it hits. Saw one site that said somewhere between Nawlins and Houston.

Another nasty one. There goes that that 3.59 for regular I've been paying.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Life ain't the same without Fuerte Cantore...

6. Re: Hurricane wonks: Meet Gustav

Yeesh.

Have they fixed those levees in New Orleans? No? Oh crap.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, it's just you. Gulf Coast has always been a target zone. (I think it's all the trailer parks.)

Cape Hatteras is the most-hit US location, I believe. The concave shape of the southeastern US coast is such that the Gulf Stream and prevailing winds pull storms away from it. Very few direct hits on the east coast of Florida in my lifetime, although many storms have come in through the back door in Tampa and several have skipped up the east coast before laying waste to ... er, Cape Hatteras.

That would be extraordinarily bad for New Orleans. The worst part of a hurricane, including the worst part of the storm surge, is on the east side of the storm.

Johnny: When you get the hell outta there, please stop off long enough to toss FuerteJ in the back of the van before leaving. :)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of course, it might just save time if you dragged him with the van. ;D

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

FuerteJ, my spare bedroom still has a bed in it (although it will turn into an office soon, sans bed), so the timing is fine if you need a place to stay. Let me know. The bed's here for at least another month.

Heck, I have a sofa too if another person needs a place. Now that the AC is working again (was out for three days), it's got all the creature comforts.

I'll be fine. A lot of people here still think I got hammered by Katrina, but all that happened to me is I was without power for four days. When my laptop ran out of battery power, my reports here stopped, but I was fine. Rita hit my hometown hard and led to me having six people and a dog in my 2-bedroom apartment for two weeks, but where I live is far enough inland that it would take one hell of a storm (Category 6?) to wipe me out.

They tell me Andrew kicked a little ass here in Baton Rouge in 1992, long before I moved here, but we're fairly protected from anything but the most dastardly storm. Storm surge is not a worry. Wind and rain are our primary concerns with hurricanes. If we're ever seriously affected, anything in such a storm's path between us and the Gulf would be devastated.

Del B. Vista and Jesus Muscatel got the brunt of Katrina. Those guys have a lifetime pass to stay here if need be.

New Orleans would be in trouble if this thing slid just west of it. The southwest Louisiana area doesn't need another Rita either.

FuerteJ, grab a muffaletta for me on your way here.

;D

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Predicting hurricane tracks > 72 hours out is a mugs game. And GFDL sucked at predicting Fay. Let's don't shoot past concern straight to panic just yet.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This reminds me, does anyone have the Katrina thread cached anywhere?

It was before my time and I'd like to read it, or at least some of Del B. Vista's posts.

12. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I don't know if I could stomach that. It was horrible to watch on TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted