1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Home Run Derby thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

HR derbies at ballparks like St. Louis, which really doesn't have any true time-honored landmarks by which to judge distance, kind of blow unless you've been there.

However, I've been to St. Louis several times now, so to see Fielder's bombing away past the centerfield grass and nearly on to the right-centerfield concourse was pretty outstanding. Those were true atom bombs.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought it somewhat interesting when ESPN opened a promo real of derbies past with shots of Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Manny and probably a couple other roiders intermixed with some other players like Hamilton and Pujols. Don't know what it meant - maybe just poor editing.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I don't even know if he went to college....it was a dig at 93devil.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

AP Advisory --

The Home Run Derby will be over within the hour.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Best thing about HR Derby: The more boring and irrelevant it becomes, the less viewers there will be to endure Chris Berman.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Pop quiz time: True or False

Joe Morgan's career batting average > 3X Joe Morgan's IQ.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'll take Morgan's IQ, narrowly. He'd just need to be 108 or better, and he's a reasonably well-spoken college graduate.

Smart people tend to underestimate how dumb average really is.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

See, Morgan was a smart baseball player. A brilliant one, even. He had great raw talent, sure, but split-second judgments in the field and on the basepaths can't be so easily acquired.

But as an analyst...

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Sporscenter coverage has been going on for over five minutes and that was just round one. Really?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ray Fosse would like to have a word with you.

And MLB needs to cut this thing down. Give the opening round 5 outs, the second round 7 and the final round 10. Add a sprint around the bases competition.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why? He played for the Indians in 1970.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Fosse popped into my head right away as well. Did Pete Vuckovich start one All-Star game?

Draft saved Draft deleted