1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Home Run Derby thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jul 13, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

First round: Fielder, Cruz 11, Howard 7, Pujols, Pena, Mauer 5, Gonzalez 2, Inge 0

Second round: Pujols 6 (total 11).

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar09/news/story?page=09derbytracker

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Could someone please, please, please tell me that Joe Morgan didn't just say "that's a fastball, in ...."

Fuck, Joe, every fucking pitch is a BP fastball.

I mean, jeez, was he expecting a curve or a slider? Maybe a splitter or a change?

FUCK!

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ryan Howard = Mykelti Williamson

Without the cap, it's easier to see.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thanks, IJAG.

Doesn't sound like I'm missing much. It's one thing to hold a Home Run Derby exhibition when six out of every nine hitters in the lineup isn't swinging from their heels in games as it is. Now, it's just overkill, unless the very, very rare Hamilton-Council story comes up.

Same with the dunk contest in the NBA. There's no magic to it anymore.

I think they need to try some kind of skills competition again: catchers and outfielders throwing accuracy, round-the-bases foot races, hitting accuracy (didn't Boggs win this in the mid-1980s at the ASG?), hit-run-throw-catch obstacle course ... :D

6. imjustagirl

I disagree vehemently.

Good run by him, though.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

OK, then kind of a cross between Mykelti Williamson and Dennis Haysbert.

8. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Perhaps Tom Emanski can get involved in a skills challenge? Maybe bring his garbage can and place it on home and have outfielders try and throw into it? If it's good enough to win AAU back-to-back-to-back National titles, it should be good enough for the ASG.

9. imjustagirl

Still disagree. But to each his/her own.

10. SamMalone16

SamMalone16 New Member

The home run derby has officially jumped the shark. This thing is way too f*cking long. Two hours between Nelson Cruz ABs is ridiculous. Half the MLB games 40 years ago were played in less time than that...

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Inge with a zero?

VCU!!!
    VCU!!!
    VCU!!!

12. imjustagirl

Ha! When someone trashed him being in it (before it even started) I was like "LAY OFF HIM, HE'S A RAM!"

Draft saved Draft deleted