1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running gun violence thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Would you rather support a God-fearing Republican Senator who drinks and drives, or how about the God-fearing one who tried to find a sexual partner in an airport bathroom stall?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My mother is a guilt-wracked, Mass-going, devoted Catholic. She has completely outsourced her moral and ethical judgments to the church. I'm a skeptical deist and cultural Catholic. I love her dearly, but I'll trust my reasoned evaluations any day over her received morality.

3. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I'd throw the sobs out and go find someone with character.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'd define myself somewhere in this neighborhood. But, don't you regularly attend Mass?

If yes, is that for your wife's sake? (Though, now that I think of it, I believe you have said she was raised in a religious household.)

And, how do you handle the religion question in raising your child?

5. Dick Whitman

She was raised in a completely secular household.

And the child question is a difficult one right now, actually, and causing some degree of angst. Two close family members died last year, and we've had to explain death to him twice. He's getting mixed signals, mostly from my mother, who tells him that they are "looking down on us" or "smiling down on us," after we've specifically asked her not to discuss the afterlife with him. She's not trying to be disrespectful. She's just someone who falls back on aphorisms and cliches when the topic is uncomfortable. When she dies some day, hopefully far, far into the future, I think I'm going to have, "Everything happens for a reason," carved into her headstone as a tribute.

6. dog eat dog world

So is this one of those "I'm going to let my kid decide" while in a backhanded way, doing it for him?

One of the key tenets to marriage success is finding compatibility on faith and I'm glad I found that. My ex is now a Wiccan.

7. Dick Whitman

Decide what? That science is real? Yeah, I'm deciding that for him.

8. dog eat dog world

And faith is dead...so goeth the afterlife.

9. dog eat dog world

Dick, for better or worse, it's obvious your mom's faith didn't rub off on you.

10. Dick Whitman

We've told him that there might be a heaven, but we don't know for sure. We don't know what it's like. We don't know where it's located.

What we don't want is to tell him these things, then have my mother tell him that our two dead relatives and my mom's dead dog are together prancing on a cloud that he sees when he looks up, playing croquet or something together.

Kids take things literally. At Christmas, my son proudly told his older cousin that planets were formed when asteroids stuck together - something we saw together on a Discovery Channel documentary we watched and that he loves.

His cousin shouted at him: "No, God made the planets! God makes everything!"

We are very careful not to dictate the unknown to him as dogma. That goes for religion, but we also say things like, "We support Obama because we agree with how he feels about things. But other people agree with Romney."

If my children leave my home some day having learned to think for themselves, then I have done my job.

11. Dick Whitman

I believe in God. Well, I believe in a first cause, call it what you will. I don't pretend to know his or her or its nature. But, again, my values have a foundation in reason and critical thinking. My mom takes dictation. I prefer my method. I think it's more beneficial for society.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Once again Mr. Whitman sets us idjits straight. Thanks, boss!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.