1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running gun violence thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Here's my question...

For those of you with kids, do you want an armed fully-trained police officer at schools?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No. Not against it, either, necessarily. Pretty indifferent.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Maybe at high schools and junior highs, because there's a greater chance an incident could start with someone who's inside the building (a student).

At elementary schools? A buzzer lock on the front door or better security policies regarding visitors could prevent most problems.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I like the officer there where appropriate -- not to stop a rampage but to stop drugs and take care of the low-level bullying stuff. Some schools have those issues and others don't.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fully-trained officer I can totally live with, though I have no idea how it could be funded.

This idea that teachers should be allowed to conceal-and-carry is lunacy beyond belief.

6. Mizzougrad96

I don't hate the idea of teachers having stun guns, but I don't know if that's realistic... I think most schools should have a fully-trained cop and metal detectors to get in where applicable. If a high school was set up like mine was in California, there's no way to enforce that since everything isn't in one building.

7. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Absolutely. I have one in kindergarten right now and would love to see armed protection at his school. I don't care if it's an off-duty cop or a trained teacher, janitor, principle, etc. It kept me up at night after Sandy Hook, thinking about if a gunman went to my son's school and no one could do anything to stop him.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The LA school district has its own police force. I'm sure it's not the only district with one.

http://www.laspd.com

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A police officer should be in every school, but not for a potential gunfight.

The real purpose of officers in schools is to build positive relationships with students and be a way for students to come to the officer with problems that they cannot come to the officer with in their everyday lives.

Reagan started this program, and it is a great thing. Too bad in current America we think they are there to shoot the bad guys coming to kill our children.

10. Mizzougrad96

There are so many reasons having them there would be a good thing and as you mentioned, taking down potential gunmen would be just one of the reasons on the list.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But that would put MORE GUNS IN OUR SCHOOLS!!!1!!111

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No, it would keep the ones that are already there.

More guns is arming staff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.