1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running gun violence thread, part II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Sep 22, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I don't care about the enthusiast; I care about the students voice their displeasure and showing the nation that they will not stand idly by the next 20-40 years watching the status quo (gun lobby) facilitate the massacre of US citizens. (I respect that the enthusiast may have a differing thought but this is a focus on the changing on the other side. (One of my best friends is a gun enthusiast, we have healthy exchanges and respect each others' opinions.)

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I actually like the idea of kids reaching out the outsider type kids at their schools, but I also think it's up to adults to do something as well. We can do both!

Goodness knows I skipped out of more than 17 minutes of class time in high school - and it was usually about something a hell of a lot dumber than wanting to feel safe in school.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Of course you don't.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The gun "enthusiast" has had pretty free rein the last 229 or so years.

In what specific way are enthusiasts currently under threat?

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I stated that --- as opposed to the Easy Button of writing the story that everybody else was writing, that I'd be interested in reading a story about how kids who did not share views of the "marchers" spent those 17+ minutes and what they felt.

The response was, "I don't care about them." As in, we're deciding on what might make for interesting writing based on our personal feelings about an issue. Completely inappropriate. Nobody was talking about them being "under threat."

One of my favorite newspaper stories was in 1982. Tennessee broke a 12-game losing streak against Alabama. Iconic victory, "sent" the Bear into retirement/death/yada yada yada.

Only story I remember reading is one Sam Venable did (yes, THAT Sam Venable, of the kid dying in Santa's arms). He went to the big campus library and interviewed the handful of souls who had no idea that the world was shaking just a few blocks away.

The story that nobody else thought to write is often among the most interesting.

Slacker likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Heh. Tomorrow we'll introduce a bill protecting former KGB/FSB/GRU agents on American soil. Priorities, people!

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I count one (1) person who “decided” that.

Regardless of whether it’s an interesting story (and it certainly is), it doesn’t change the news of the day.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Where did I say they are?

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If the one person is me, that's taking my comment out of context. That was a direct response to the post above me. I didn't decide that anyone should do anything. Per the enthusiast's feelings, if that's what you want go ahead.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted