1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Grey Cup thread.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Was the guy riding the horse wearing a Stamps or Riders logo anywhere? If so I am not responisble.

And If I were the CFL I'd be pissed at the Canadiens as well. I mean it's Patrick Roy, not exactly the most beloved Canadien of all time. Shit his Jr. team is off for two weeks or whatever it is during Christmas, it would have been just as easy to do it then. Ignorant cocksuckers. It's not like they didn have anywarning or anything.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I was the same way when I was that age. I wonder if they will come around to the CFL as they get older.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Couple of things.

30,000 people in the Skydome Rogers Centre is depressing.

The city should never have let MLSE build a soccer only stadium at the Exhibitio becuase the Argos could have taken a page from the Als who play at McGill. Get a stadium that seats 25,000 and sell out all your games.

And Beef, they're having one helluva time selling out for the Bills game that's at Skydome Rogers Centre in a couple of weeks.

The only two teams that Toronto supports are the Leafs and the soccer team.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Taylor killed my eskimos in the East final returning two kicks for touchdowns. One to sway the momentum back to Montreal, the second to pound the final nail in their coffin.

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Good to hear! Well, not for you, but for him. ;)

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So since your Eskies aren't playing, are you cheering for the Stamps? :)

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I think the only reason they are having trouble selling out for the Bills game is the king's ransom they are demanding for the tickets. Unless they have lowered them considerably. I really don't know. If that's the case then I am genuinely surprised.

I personally think 25,000 is too small if you are building a new football stadium, but yes it is a better situation than sitting 30,000 in a cavernous Skydome. To me the ideal size is about 35,000. It's still an intimate enough setting, there should still be the appearance of demand for tickets, and you can still support a larger crowd for Labour day and playoffs, without having to go back indoors to the Sky Dome or Big Owe.

That is the one thing about Commenwealth Stadium in Edmonton. It's a great venue, but it looks half empty even when they average in the neighborhood of 40,000 a game. But when it has close to 60,000 shoe horned in there it is an awesome sight. When the team is worthwhile there will normally be 50,000 plus whenever Saskatchewan or Calgary comes to Edmonton and then again for playoffs. And when the team sucks as it had the previous two years they will still push close to 50,000 for those games -- alot of roughrider fans though.

I tell you though, there are few things more annoying than the Als shellout streak. "Look at us, we got 22,000 fans out to watch our game today! but you'll be real impressed when we expand and get 25,000 out!" Considering they were playing in front of 6,000 at the Olympic Stadium it is good to see them succeeding, but that was also what, 8 years ago? you'd think they could find something new to hang their hat on.

I thought the Raptors were supported fairly well. Now that the novelty has worn off and considering the lack of quality on that team the past number of years I thought they still pulled pretty well, maybe not sellouts, but far from say Thrashers numbers.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I can't bring myself to do it, especially with Burris under centre. Although I have always hated the Alouettes, it is no where near the contempt I hold for anything Calgary. I can't even root for the refs because I can't stand Jake Ireland -- always finds a way to screw the Esks. I may just have to root for a good game. I could even take overtime because it is such an early start out here (4 p.m.). Man was I ever hoping for a battle of Alberta. If I have to miss a Grey Cup though, this one is OK to miss.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

25,000-30,000 would be about right for Toronto. Like the old Varsity Stadium And then move the playoffs over to Rogers Centre.

I went to high schoool with Jake Ireland. He's a good Burlington lad.

No matter who you talk to--Ticat fans, Argos fans, Eskimo fans, Jake's out to screw everybody.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

If I heard right this is his 15th Grey Cup

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So, who's doing the half time show?

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Theory of a Dead Man

Draft saved Draft deleted