1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running GOOD NEWS in journalism thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thesnowman, May 29, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Since we actually hired my boss after ten months of searching, the two-man sports department at our tiny paper is actually beginning to bear a hazy resemblance to a quality product.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

My shithole (ahem, Bubbler, you ass) has been putting out some quality reporting on child deaths in our coverage area.

Been good Sunday enterprise work. I'll find a link and post later.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I can't believe I used the word "shithole" in my 5,000th post. And it only took 6 years for me to get there.

SHITHOLE!

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

We have had 600 new subscriptions this year.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Our subscription sales have grown over the last year. Ad sales are down, but no worse than a regular recession, and they appear to be picking back up.

6. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I just graduated with a BS in Mass Communications with a concentration in print/electronic journalism after spending years working as the paper's sports editor, managing editor, and editor-in-chief and have accrued a resume laden with print journalism experience into which I have sunk my life the past four years.

Oh, wait. This is the GOOD news thread? Whoops.

OK, no, seriously, I am getting married and living in a city where the SE of a mid-sized daily has given me some pretty consistent freelance work that could turn into a full-time job soon. That's promising. I also have a couple of connections to Our State magazine in NC that could land me some freelance work for them in the near future, also promising. And I'm writing a book....although I need to get an agent, but it's one of those stories that you'd work on for free if you didn't have to help support the wife and Jack Russell Terrier, so that may turn into something also promising.

In surprisingly optimistic shape for a fresh-faced kid on the block in this storm.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

For the first time in my shop, we're sitting down tomorrow with advertising to game-plan an approach to the fall football tab that should let us come close to last year's ad percentages, or maybe even do better, in a tough environment. A significant change of approach is involved and I'll report back here as we go along.

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

speaking "like" this is bad enough, but WRITING it?

9. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Oh, come on EE. Surely you have better things to do than criticize stuff like that, or at least better threads in which to do it. This is the feel-good thread. You take that Debbie Downer-ness somewhere else.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I love football tabs. They are a sports journalist's career in microcosm: Fun to plan, hell to execute, and awesome to look at when you're done.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Went to a hipster cafe the other day for breakfast and saw a ton of people reading the printed copy of our paper. In 2009. The portability and shareability still matter.

12. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

I was going to cite the fact for that for the first time in I can't remember how long the first page of this board was devoid of any news involving layoffs, furloughs, cutbacks or closing, but then I just came across the Philadelphia Bulletin thread. :'(

Draft saved Draft deleted