1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running GOOD NEWS in journalism thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thesnowman, May 29, 2009.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

My shop is also gaining in circulation, although it recently reduced staff too. :-\. But it does bode well for the long-term, if they keep me around to see it.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Spring sports is over in two weeks... and after putting together the all-area teams, my two cohorts and I will only have to work 15 hours a week from June 15 to Aug. 1 and still get paid (albeit less) for 40.

Oh and I have an extra week of vacation ... which would be nice if I had the money to go somewhere .... ::)

3. spud

spud Member

Whaaaat... get outta here you hoser, we should all be so lucky. Eff profits, I want what this guy's getting.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

This is all fine and dandy, but some of it could also be posted on newspaperpublishers.com and adexecs.com. Yes, I know it's all connected, but how about some good news regarding the journalism?

Mine would be that my paper is finally publishing a multi-part investigative report that has taken two of our best reporters months to pull together. Nice to know that investigative journalism isn't dead.

5. sportsguydave

Whaaaat... get outta here you hoser, we should all be so lucky. Eff profits, I want what this guy's getting.

=========================================================================

:D Of course, this doesn't even begin to balance out the 70-hour weeks that are the rule from Aug. 15-June 15 ... but it's a nice perk. The joys of being on salary ...

6. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Our free weekly newspaper is a member of the Association of Free Community Papers. This year I earned two first-place awards, one for a feature story on a local guy who is the chef de cuisine at the Playboy mansion in Los Angeles and another in sports for an area football team that reached the state finals for the second year in a row and lost for the second year in a row.

I know it's not The AP (no way we can afford the pricey membership), but the AFCP is a large organization (more than 3,000 newspaper members across the country with a combined readership of more than 45 million), so it's nice to have a paper that only prints 12,000 issues a week get a little lovin'.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

My editor actually told me to not worry about small stories and just focus on reporting and writing stories that people will care about.

8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

my paper reduced our across-the-board salary cuts from eight percent to five percent.

9. thesnowman

thesnowman Member

Just confirmed today I was renewed for a dream freelance gig. Knocked a column way out of the park (and possibly over McCovey Cove) a couple weeks ago. And received a small raise about six weeks ago.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Does that guy need an assistant? :D

11. sportsguydave

Just confirmed today I was renewed for a dream freelance gig. Knocked a column way out of the park (and possibly over McCovey Cove) a couple weeks ago. And received a small raise about six weeks ago.

========================================================================

Awesome, thesnowman!! Are they looking for any other freelancers? :D

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No, Granny, that doesn't qualify (post deleted).

Draft saved Draft deleted