1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running GOOD NEWS in journalism thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thesnowman, May 29, 2009.

1. thesnowman

thesnowman Member

A lot of people on here are tired of all the gloom and doom. Unfortunately closures, layoffs, pay cuts, and furloughs probably aren't going anywhere for awhile.

For a breath of fresh air, this would be a good place to post your own (or your paper's) good news. Pump the tires of a deserving colleague. Tell us about that first writing/photog/design/editing award you just won. Maybe you just got (gasp!) a raise or wrote a story that got great feedback from the public. Maybe you just broke a story you've been chasing for a few weeks/months/years. Maybe your paper is growing and/or you are actually excited about the prospect of posting audio, video, blogs, etc.

Anything at all, post it here. Threadjackers and smart-asses need not apply.

2. spud

spud Member

Our Web site posted like a 90 percent increase in hits over the last year... somewhere close to 5 million hits a month now, I think.

I just had like 18,000 urges to turn this into something shitty but I resisted. Just for this thread. Feels good not to point out that stuff for once.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

our shop has made two hires with another coming, I think.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

We made budget first quarter.

5. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Okay, I'll bite.

I won an Indiana APME first-place award recently for nondeadline sports reporting. My winning story was a double-truck in a special section previewing the Olympics; a story, with sidebar, on a local athlete who qualified for the 10,000-meter run in Beijing at age 30.

Nice idea, thesnowman. Lord knows we need something positive to talk about in our struggling field.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Hey, congrats from a fellow Hoosier!

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Thanks, River!! Where are you in Indiana??

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Some shithole. :D

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Our paper is actually gaining in circulation.

That hasn't stopped management from blowing up benefits, going through multiple rounds of layoffs and sticking my sorry ass and two others in my department on a pair furloughs, but nonetheless, I think my rag will be around for a spell.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

We kicked ass with our tennis state championship coverage. On my request, our publisher agreed to postponed a meeting with a freelance photog - who we're basically bending over but apparently our deal isn't sweet enough - until after the spring playoffs. My co-worker and I were basically told the only way we can lose our jobs is a libel lawsuit.
    Oh, and spring playoffs are done in two weeks.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Can you be more specific?

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

My shop made 13 percent profit the first quarter... and is on track to top that figure this quarter.

Draft saved Draft deleted