1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, Norman was a HoFer - won a ton, was No. 1 forever, and has two Jugs. But really, he and Mickelson have a LOT in common in the loser regard.

History will regard him as the "Saturday Slam" dude, the guy that shot a million on Sunday to cough up the Masters, the guy who Larry Mize chipped in on, etc. - and he ALWAYS had an excuse for why he didn't close. Sure, he is a gazillionaire with a hot MILFy wife now and seems secure in his life. Good for him.

RB

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

And yeah, Monty has to be getting close. And if Fred Funk can dominate out there, the other absurdly-straight driver has a chance to rack up.

But should Monty win a Senior British, it is NOT a major in the "he's never won one" context. Or else Nicklaus' total would be insane.

RB

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

MILFy. hehe.

4. Right again,
    It won't be a real major, but it might give Monty some satisfaction.
    He's another guy I rank up there with Phil and Norman, the guys who flat-out can't get it done under a pressurized Sunday.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

But he won't get away with that this week or next. And he was at the Buick Open to prepare for those tournaments.

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

So far Tiger v. Harrington has been hammer v. nail, but Paddy put together a nice shot on the 7th.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Does Tim Finchem really think taking a tournament out of Flint, which has supported the damn thing for 40 years, and putting it in West Virginia is going to be either a lateral move or improvement? That's one helluva drive from D.C. that isn't exactly easy.

8. It's a lateral move.. and a short-term one. The Greenbrier can host the event for a few years. And pray Tiger and Phil show up.
    The Greenbrier is not an easy drive from anywhere. Though it does have an airport that accomodate the players' jets.

Buick stepped out. The Greenbrier, checkbook in hand, stepped in. There's not a whole lot for Finchem to consider.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

So basically The Greenbrier did what Joe Hardy and 84 Lumber did in 2003. And I was at the first two 84 Lumber Classics. The first, won by J.L. Lewis, was a complete an utter snoozefest with a terribly weak field. That said, the 84 Lumber was played in September when football's in full swing and golf season is essentially over. But both will appear to be PGA Tour stops on resort courses that will struggle to attract fans and attention.

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Say what you want about Norman and Mickelson, but they've both won multiple major championships. I just don't think you can dog that. Did they have chances to win more? Sure. But nobody is calling Lee Jansen and Ernie Els losers, and they've won the same number, if I'm not mistaken.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

Loser? No. Underachiever on the golf course? Yeah.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Paddy Harrington dropping a huge turd on the 16th and has just handed Tiger the W. The rare 4 shot swing.

Draft saved Draft deleted