1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running God hates the Hoosiers thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starving Journalist, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oz, I love you man, but Dakich had nothing to do with those calls. He replaced the assistant (Seminoff) who did.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't forget the alleged interest that Isiah Thomas has in the job.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My bad. I still believe McCallum -- great Ball State coach that he was -- should have been named interim coach.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Zeke claims to have no interest whatsoever in that job. Even after the Knicks fire him, he's owed $18 million over 3 years. Why should he work?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That will never happen.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is that the same Ray McCallum who reached a high level of suck at the University of Houston?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I went to Ball State, I covered McCallum, I wouldn't go so far to call him great, it's a stretch to call him good, tough he was 126-76 at BSU.

He worked the Muncie angle to get Bonzi Wells and rode him for a while, but got to just one tournament with him. Ball State made it to one other tourney in his seven years.

Bear in mind, though, that Ball State had been to three in five seasons before he got there. Ball State went from a steady 20-25 win program to a 15-20 win program under McCallum.

No way IU was going to hire anyone off Sampson's staff to have any role anyway.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Davis won with another coach's players.

Didn't Davis just ignore the Midwest kids (I think two wound up at Ohio State) and kept digging in the South for players? That probably hurt just as much as anything.

Didn't Knight mention once about the negligible likelihood of God helping one of his teams win?

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Anyone else find it a little odd that the interim coach, who's obviously a lame duck, is dismissing two of the team's better players?

10. rube

rube Active Member

Give the job to Calbert Cheaney.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Bubbler is right: the assistant, Senderoff, was involved in the three-way calls. When the trouble came down, the administration said "Send him off" so Sampson did, and hired Dakich, who had already been aboard as an administrative something or other.

If Mike Davis went to the title game with someone else's players (and he did), that's at least something he shares with Roy Williams and Tubby Smith.

The Isiah stuff is hilarious. espn.com qoted him as saying that IU hasn't contacted him, and Dakich should get the gig anyway as a former Knight player. To the first: Yeah, no shit, huh? And the second . . . . Dakich has been a disaster to anyone but the Knight worshipppers.

The interim coach should have been sent packing, his authority to make decisions gone. Especially after his "hey man, I KNOW what Indiana should BE!!!" plea to become permanent coach after the NCAA shellacking, Dakich becomes worse and worse.

In the later Knight years, IU could at least try to cling to Knight's lack of rulebreaking, but now the program doesn't have that anymore. Hell, IU soccer, its old "minor sport" dependable like Iowa wrasslin' or Minnesoooooooota hockey, is in the dumps now.

But as always with big-time programs (and programs that still cling to the notion of being big-time even though results say otherwise), there's likely more to the story. And it looks like Indiana - which unlike many places depends on basketball, not football, for its major financial boost - is finished for at least the next five years, and possibly a decade. This was their chance to get the coaching hire right, and they're in the process of blowing it.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

True, but I have a feeling Roy is going to have some pretty good success with his own guys in the next few years. Plus, he had some decent (and some crappy) runs at Kansas.

Draft saved Draft deleted