1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running French Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, May 23, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It starts early Sunday morning, so I'm getting it started now.

Will Fed finally complete the career Slam?

Will Nadal win his fifth in a row, something six-time winner Borg couldn't even accomplish?

Will Safina join her brother (Mmmm, Marat, mmmm) as a Slam winner?

Will an American male make the second week?

Will Serena or Sharapova be healthy enough to make a run?

So many questions this year :D

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I like Roddick's chances.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

BNP Paribas!!! Perrier!!!!

RB

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I am nervous for my boy Andy Murray.

Chela in the first round, even if he is now 215 in the world, is a dangerous proposition.

5. sportschick

Roddick? Mr. I Haven't Won a Match at the French Since 2005?

Quite a limb to go out on there, JAE, quite a limb.

Not that it couldn't happen. I could become the fifth ex-Mrs. Sean Bean too :D

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Blue font.

7. sportschick

Dammit!

I think Osednik (sp) makes the second week.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No. Never on red clay.

Sounds logical enough, but the guy has to lose someday, doesn't he? 28-0 at that venue at age 22 is mind-boggling.

Possible, but I wouldn't be the farm on it.

Some unknown will get a good draw and make the fourth round. But not Andy Roddick or James Blake.

No, and neither like clay to begin with.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I love the Federer-Nadal rivalry. It's right up there with Borg-McEnroe, Becker-Edberg and Sampras-Agassi.

But beyond those two and Novak Djokovic, men's tennis is a sham right now. Andy Roddick and James Blake never are real threats to upset the big boys and everyone seems to play the same style. Hardly anyone serves and volleys anymore, which makes for less exciting matches.

So, it's back to Federer and Nadal. Would be a monumental upset if either lost before the semis and there's a very real possibility of them meeting in the final for a fourth straight year.

10. sportschick

You do realize Serena's won the French, Mark? Just because she's an American doesn't mean she can't play on the stuff.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, she won it in 2002 as part of her "Serena Slam". But she's had less success there than any other slam.

Nice win by Lleyton Hewitt, coming from two sets down to beat Ivo Karlovic. Karlovic served a Grand Slam record 55 aces, but looked dead at the end.

Hewitt is an interesting figure. I don't see how he can ever get back to the top ten, but yet he continues to grind it out, which is really hard for a guy who has been No. 1 in the world, won two Grand Slams and made his millions. Good for him.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, Andy Murray wants a word Mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted