1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running final season--seasons?--of Scrubs thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Oct 25, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Re: Running final season of Scrubs thread.

I'm watching an old episode now:

J.D.: Dr. Cox, have you been here the whole time?
    Cox: No. I just came in through the couch door.

Classic Cox.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Very Coxian.

That would be the adjective form of his name.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well gee Agnes does the field hockey team know you're missing?

4. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

One of the things I am going to miss the most is Dr. Jan Itor. That's the best name ever.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I prefer Dr. Rotinaj.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was the best. Jan I. Tor

I laugh like hell, too, at how he has generic names for everyone else. "Blonde doctor." "Black doctor." "Spanish doctor."

I think my favorite Scrubs moment may have been when the patient who communicates only via the computer that Janitor broke blinks out the words "thank you" after Cox gets him a new computer. Cox: "Ahh don't mention it." Patient: "I wasn't talking to you."

Then the camera pans to Janitor, who had been chatting with the patient for a few days ("I have this idea for a pen straw. Hmmm. Tastes like ink.") and admitted that while his job doesn't rank high on the totem pole, he likes it because he thought he was making a difference. And now he has: He's taken the time to talk to a patient with no ability to communicate.

You can almost see the catch form in Janitor's throat as he realizes the patient is talking about him...then he turns away quickly, as if he doesn't want anyone to see how close he is to crying, and walks away with the ever-so-subtle bounce in his step.

Fuck. I love this show.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There are so many great, touching parts to this show. I really like a couple parts between Dr. Cox and J.D.

The first is when J.D.'s dad dies, and Cox takes control of everything for him -- covering his shift, threatening his interns, taping his brother to the bathroom wall so he won't drown in the tub (then, of course, punching J.D. in the face). But Cox really comes through for J.D. at the end, bringing him a Red Wings jersey and beer and the three of them toast to the fallen father -- John Ritter.

The other is when Cox makes the snap decision to give the three transplant patients new organs from Jill Tracy, but finds out she died of rabies. After the three patients dies, Cox goes into a serious depression and J.D. brings him out of it. J.D. shows up at Cox's apartment and tells him what he means to him as a doctor and a role model, then takes a swig of scotch. Cox says, "Do don't drink scotch." Then at the bar, Cox comes up to J.D. and says, "J.D. Thanks," then pats his shoulder.

They aren't funny moments, and might usually drive me away from most shows. But for some reason, I'm hooked on this one. It's just such a well-written sitcom. My only regret is that I didn't start watching until April.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Of course, the top dramatic moment in Scrubs history has to be when Cox realizes his brother-in-law is dead. He'd spent the whole episode "talking" to him but then JD says "Where do you think we are?" as they stand outside the cemetary. And Cox has to come to grips with the fact his best friend is dead.

It took me three viewings of that episode to figure out the timeline. It was incredibly well-done.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That was an absolutely perfect episode. Beautifully sad.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Absolutely.

I just watched the episode where Brendan Frasier -- Ben -- puts the nail through his hand. I notice something different every time I watch. When J.D. flashes back everything he's been through during the day, right before he's got to tell Ben he's got leukemia, Ben waves his left hand, which doesn't have a bandage. The next scene cuts to Ben and Cox in the hospital room, and Ben's got his bloody bandage on and J.D. hits him with the news.

All of the intricacies written into this show are just impressive.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Six more minutes.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

"Why are they all here?"

"Zombie."

Draft saved Draft deleted